Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Supersport suspension adjust

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by OHjimbo, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Hey guys
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to set your rear shock and forks to compliment the riding style of the rider
    I am starting to do more high speed cornering like getting the knee down and track days and wanted to make sure everything on the bike is set properly to make it as easy as possible

2. If you don't know what you want changed, it's very hard to give you advice. Is the bike doing something you don't like? If you want a general setup, maybe take it to the suspension guys at the track day, they'll usually do it for 50 bucks or something.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yes, what he said.

If your doing track days, get the suspension guys at the track to help you set static sags for your weight and help you to set up the rest based on your track performance.

If you then feel something you don't like during the day, they are there to help you after talking it through.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Awesome thanks guy that's a good idea next time I'm at the track I'll get them to fix it up
  5. Suspension worksheet_A.

Suspension worksheet_B.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. duplicate
  7. [​IMG]

This is great but, thanks! Totally stealing this.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #9 chilliman64, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    hi mate, glad to hear you're enjoying some spirited riding!

I'm by no means an expert on anything (refer to my sig for more information) but I would like to make comment on this topic and draw your attention to the Keith Code 'Twist Of The Wrist' books/dvds.

Keith covers a lot of ground regarding bike handling at road and track speeds (book 1 more for track, book 2 for road). he discusses how the throttle has a huge impact on the bike's suspension and recommends improved throttle control as the best way of overcoming 'suspension problems' - really he is saying that the suspension is not the problem, it is the throttle control causing the bike to behave inconsistently.

the books/dvds are worth a look and may save you money on mods. you can find some of his stuff on youtube.

I've not done a track day per se but I believe sometimes they have 'suspension guys' on track to make adjustments for you but I am only quoting what I've read so feel free to disregard this comment or treat it with the contempt it deserves.

best of luck dude!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. It's a strange co-incidence that chilliman64chilliman64 mentions A Twist of the Wrist 2, at the end of the DVD, there is a demonstration of setting the basic sag. And I've just watched the video again this afternoon. Keith recommends about 20% to 30% sag for track work, and 30% to 35% for Road use. These % are of total suspension travel from fully extended. This often works out somewhere around 30mm for a good base setting to start with. I've used this recommendation after my first track day and have since found the setting pretty good. The bike would feel like it was wallowing (Suspension too soft) on my first track day, and has felt great since I set the sag after my first track day. Although it can feel a little stiff on the road when the road gets bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Senator17Senator17 I'll have to watch it again - thanks for the reminder!
  11. for those of you that are interested, here's the bit Senator17Senator17 referred to - enjoy