Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Supermotards: Road vs Trail - Compromise?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bennett, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hi. I've recently sold my K5 SV650S - which is a GREAT bike - since I wasn't using it all that much. I tended to find myself only going out on the road when group rides were planned or only very occasionally. More often I'd just fang the old TRX250 quad around the property.

Anyhoo, now that I've sold the SV I've been looking into the viability of a supermotard. I really want something that I can fang around the property but that will also be more than up to the task on the road should I have the desire to hit the tar or if a group ride is planned (possibly once every month or so).

I understand that supermotards are predominantly set up for road but will handle dirt roads okay. My property however, is rather mountainous and rough. Would it be too much to expect a stock supermotard to handle this as well?

Or is it wise to have two sets of wheels - one for road runs and one for off-road? If so, how much effort is involved in performing the changeover?

The opinions I have had so far vary from ones saying that it does neither road nor trail well (although I have seen them in action on a track and they are simply awe-inspiring :D), to others that say it will do anything great. Others have said that it will do either well, so long as you put a crossover tyre on.

Anyway, am a bit confused so any advice from the motarders out there would be great!

FYI, I'm considering something like the Yammy XT660 or more likely the Suzuki DRZ400SM.
  2. With the money you would've got for a spankers SV650S, you'll be able to get yourself an early ZX-6R and a 2001 or 2002 YZ426F and have something to put into a tyre/servicing fund. That way, you'll have a bike which can handle rough terrain and a bike which won't need to be bounced off the limiter in top as soon as the road opens up nor topped up at every single servo you pass.
  4. Thanks for the advice. Alas I'm not keen on going the two bike route (cost of initial acquisition and maintence).

Looks like I might just settle for the full dirt, since that's where most of my time will be spent anyway. If the absence of tar eats at me too much then I might end up getting a second for the road ... :)
  5. Have you thought of having 2 sets of wheels? I know a few motard boys who kept the crosser wheels when they got the 17's. It takes about 5 minutes to change between each set. Leave the knobbies on most of the time, when you know a rides coming up, change them over the night before.
  6. Yep, definitely had that idea. Didn't realise it'd only take about 5 mins to change though. :eek:

A mate of mine said however I'd "need different size rear sprockets to accomodate the diff diameter wheels and a spacer plate for the front caliper...cause dirt and road brake discs are dif in diameter to....."

Anyhoo, it's all still a bit new to me but was sortof thinking going that route. :)