Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Supermarket Food Levy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Espionage, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Watching TT last night supermarkets are asking us customers to pay a food levy to assist the farmers experiencing hardship because of the drought. This is just the supermarkets trying to "Good Bloke" themselves and shift financial responsibilities somewhere else without effecting their profits.

Why dont the supermarkets for a start, stop screwing the farmers down in price and pay them more money when purchasing their produce instead of shifting the burden on to us consumers? This would assist the farmers. For example I know Coles pays farmers 40 cents for a litre of milk and then resell it for $2.00

Also if a food levy was introduced and the supermarkets were managing the funds, they would charge money to manage the levy. To me its just another profit scam the supermarkets are trying to pull.
  2. One way you can get around this is to buy your fruit and veg at markets. Yes it's extra time and travel, and I'm not likely to do it myself, but the option is there.

If food prices rocket at such markets, then you know there's problems!
  3. Definitely a goer on the markets. Canberra has some fantastic ones. Why would I pay 50% (at least, sometimes as much as 100-200%) more for produce of inferior quality at a supermarket when I can get better choice, better quality and cheaper price at a market?
  4. Considering the profit margin that Coles and Woolworths/Safeway run on they should donate money back to the farmers AND then to us for all the years they've been screwing us.

I said on another forum a while ago that really, the farmers have to take a lot of the blame themselves, because the farmers federation when it has been flush with money - in the 50s through to the early 80's they did nothing but encourage the duopoly.

What they should have done when they had all that cash to burn is to buy or make a distribution and point of sale (ie a supermarket chain) so that they could share the profits of their produce. Basic common business sense.

The most important part is to have the control of where the customer shops.

NFF has been happy to put up with the status quo, knowing damn well what the farmers are paid and what the supermarkets sell the good for.

It looks like wesfarmers could buy coles. If they dont, they should make a third (4th if you count aldi) supermarket chain (or even make a deal with aldi).