Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SuperLeague comes to ASBK

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by DarkHorse, Oct 9, 2009.

1. So Terry O'Neil just couldn't go quietly, could he? Now he's set up a competing "FX Superbike" series (outside of MA sanctioning) under the name Australian Road & Track Rider Promotions along with ARDC and the Benalla Auto Club that control Eastern Creek, Winton and Wakefield Park. The series is to be run alongside the existing Formula Xtreme series under the banner of the AASA, which has been mainly concerned with club level car racing through to the Targa Tasmania.

So all the effort to attract more sponsorship to the ASBK and now that will be split between two competitions?

They haven't released much detail about spec levels etc other than to say they want to keep everything affordable and encourage privateers - so any money on Yamaha running a factory team, since they've bailed on ASBK like a spoilt child when they didn't get their Superstock way?

So what are peoples thoughts? Will this rejuvenate Australian road racing or will the division of resources leave us with two struggling and uninspiring competitions? Will the vested interests of the controlling bodies of 3 major circuits mean that ASBK might be denied access in coming years? Other issues?
  2. There was good reason why the majority of competitors, both factory and private, were happy when Konsky took over. From the minor dealings I had with riders, Terry certainly polarised opinions. People either hated or liked him, there was not much ambivalence.
  3. This might not be a good thing for the sport
  4. If I were to divulge some of the things I know about this, I'd probably get sued.
  5. Don't open your mouth then, cos the Admins can be sued too, if you put it up here. You can be sure that these folks read netrider
  6. Note that I said, "If". I have no intention of doing so.
  7. Then why mention it at all then?
  8. Sheeesh. Everyone's a critic.
  9. But what's the point?

Saying 'I know more than you do, ner ner, de ner ner' without backing it up is a bit pointless and a waste of electrons.

From what I understand, if you post something that isn't the subject of a ND agreement, is truthful and not slanderous, what have you got to fear?

And your first response was better.
  10. Australia just does not have the size to attract enough sponsors and corporate money to support two local motorcycle racing series.

From what I have seen Konsky seems to be doing a pretty good job. I am sure everything is far from perfect but things seem to be heading in a better direction. Close racing. Tv Coverage. Good Factory support. But Yamaha chucking a hissy fit and withdrawing factory support from the Superbikes is not going to help, and neither will a competing series.
  11. MA is FEROCIOUSLY protective of its turf. There are so many impediments that they place in your way just to run a race MEETING, let alone a SERIES.

I don't care how much money or clout you have, MA's motto is "Our way or the highway."

I had an acquaintance years ago who tried to get permission to run a meeting outside of MA approval. The results were not pretty.
  12. I'd like to know more about the legalities of MAs position as sanctioning body - do they have a legal monopoly on bike racing in Australia? AASA and ARTRP don't seem to think so... Oneil's been running Formula Xtreme on the side this year... RC36?

As to the series itself, I agree that I don't think we have the market to support two competitions - one has struggled to date. IEG has taken a few good steps towards raising the profile of the top level of the sport, but at what cost? Running events in conjunction with the V8s does mean extra exposure, and TV time is always good for getting your product out there, but it does relegate the bikes to the status of "support race" - and then what happens to the bike support classes? Supersport, Superstock, GP-mono etc aren't going to get track time with a V8 round, so they have to be run seperately. That obviously has major implications for competitors, sponsors etc and the development of potential top-level riders. The 2+4 thing was tried 10 years ago, and dropped... why? Are those reasons still relevant or is it a different set of circumstances now?

The other worrying thing now of course is that Suzuki is the only official factory team left in the competition as of next year - Honda withdrew before this year (though are still supporting Paul Free and MotoLogic) Kawasaki are pulling out, and now Yamaha will only enter a Supersport team.

Here's hoping Ducati, Aprillia, MV Augusta and Triumph (SS) decide to get involved to at least mix things up a bit and support a team if not run one.
  13. That doesn't look likely
  14. Um, no.

Read something about the Italians showing an interest if it went to a more Superstock format (that Yamaha wanted) - I guess so they could just trot out a couple of 1198Ss and be competitive without spending truckloads on developing a 'real' Superbike.
  15. AASA shook up CAMS in circuit racing more than I think CAMS realise.

No one can have exclusive rights to sanction any form of sport in this country so MA is about to get competition on that front.

If MA tries to take action against any MA licenced racer or official taking part in the Fx series the ACCC has some Restraint of Trade Laws that would apply, all this occured in car circuit racing 4 years ago when what is now the AASA was created and again 18 months ago when AASA got involved in rallying. It's going to be interesting to watch the same thing happen all over again

All Terry O'Neil has to do is ensure robust regulations are in place and that the insurance cover is comparible or better than that offered by MA.

I suppose I should mention that I work as a volunteer marshal at several AASA sanctioned events each year as well as CAMS events. Over the years I've also worked at events sanctioned by ANDRA, AUSCAR, NASR & MA.
  16. I haven't read the full story, are MA threatening that sanction?

MA are the peak authority in Australia and their races run under the FIM banner. Racing for another series, unless it has a parallel in another country would seem to be a very dead end move.

With club, state, MA and now Terry, we don't really need more dilution of the available pool. As for the support class, whilst totally needed, the real issue is the appalling level of support that a SBK race attracts. A race day crowd of a few thousand is considered a massive success. It costs a lot of money even to run at a state level, I can only guess at what a serious national competitor would be up for. That level of commitment requires sponsorship and sponsors need exposure. Having your bikes finish mid field in front of 2000 people isn't a great way to spend your cash when you consider where else you could spend it.

Motorcyclists (road) are a funny lot. If Casey wasn't racing next weekend, even with the Rossi/Lorenzo battle, the crowds would look sparse. If the weather is dicey even worse. But we then don't like it when we see this continual to and fro between rival promoters. Simple answer, support Konsky, attend your local round if you possibly can, adopt a rider and throw your support around them, buy their sponsors product and let that them know why.
  17. Funny thing is that the vast majority of road racers don't aspire to emulate Stoner, Bayliss, etc but just want to throw a leg over a bike and ride around a race track with like minded people.

You don't need FIM or MA sanction to do that and the quicker MA realise that the better the entire sport will be. This has the potential to reduce costs to clubs wishing to run simple ride days or basic race meetings by going to the new group and may even force MA to look at what it charges as well.

I've watched this occur in car circuit racing and rallying in the past 4 or so years and will watch the 2 wheel version as it developes in the coming months.
  18. Quite frankly, I don't care about the ASBK. Appears to be limited non motorcycling interest in it so there's not enough big out-of-industry sponsorship coming in and no one really has any idea how to change that. Teams and promoters keep calling for TV as the fix it but I don't think it'll work. And it does appear to be prohibitvely expensive for a local series given the sponsorship situation.

Some of the old timers may be able to shed some light, but has MA really done anything to deserve exclusivity over licencing? Was there a "bad old days" berfore MA? Is there still a necessity for that exclusivity today? If not, what's the fuss?

The big concern is modern bike club racing. It was relatively healthy here in NSW but the last year or two it's shat itself. Looks like there'll be very little alternative to racing the FX series if you're a NSW club racer. Even though I did the FX this year and intend to next year, if some of the factories do end up moving there then I'm genuinely concerned that it'll become a very fast pace for a slow old clubbie with more money than speed (or sense). May have to buy an old bike to race the PCRA or renew my Preston membership and race down south.

This concept of tying up the tracks on an exclusive or near exclusive basis will prove much more telling on a grass roots level than any licencing spat.
  19. Dunno the answer to your questions really D1300.

MA are the peak body in Australia, recognised as the authority to run FIM sanctioned events and apparently recognised by governments as well. There can't be any exclusivity arrangement in place because Terry ran his series for some years before, though perhaps on different tracks.

MA really are just the regulator. They gave Terry several years to make a success of ASBK and for whatever reason that contract was either terminated or not renewed, depending on your reading of the contract.

As the regulator, they should just provide the framework to run the series and then grant the right to run that series to a promoter. I think that people need to give the current promoter the time to make a success of this, as he has a track record of success.

I don't know the costs of affiliation to the SCB's, but I didn't believe it was that onerous. Our problems last year was some confusion over the implementation of rules, not the costs of membership. As you know, the biggest fees of all for a race weekend are the track hire and medical services. The big tracks have costs imposed on them by MA for licencing compliance (run off, air fences etc...) but how much?

All interesting stuff.
  20. My concern is that now the owners/operators of some of the major tracks are directly involved in running one of two competing series... if the competition (between them) gets really heated in a couple of years there is the potential for those tracks to become strategic resources that could be with-held...

Again, I'm not full bottle on the arrangements between ASBK and the tracks year-to-year, but I can see this becoming another potential issue.