Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Supercheap Auto rimtape

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by botch, May 30, 2015.

1. So after a week of ownership, i thought i would try to personalise my bike a bit.

It's a KTM Duke 200, so predominantly black and orange. The rims are black, so i was thinking of some orange rimtape.

A trip to supercheap found me some rimtape for $7....bargain. These are stickers, not a decal that requires water to transfer.

I cleaned the wheels, applied the stickers and admired my handywork. I reckon it turned out good, breaks it up nicely. I don't think these are reflective.

Here's the clincher....i went inside to have some lunch, and by the time I went back out, they had started to peel :(

Oh well, lucky it was only cheap.

On a side note, I like the look, does anyone know a decent brand to get, or online shop that sells good ones? And are water transfer style ones better than normal stickers?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. I have to ask, with what did you clean the wheels? Some cleaning products can leave a residual film behind that interferes with the adhesives. Best method for a final cleaning step before applying stickers etc is to use metho or other non residual solvent on a clean cloth, and don't then touch the surface with anything other than the sticker/adhesive. Certainly don't wipe your fingers over where you want to place the stickers, if you do then clean again with metho etc.

Damn you oldcorollasoldcorollas , you beat me to it!
    "clean rims well, then degrease with something like isopropyl alcohol.."

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I used detergent and and water to clean it. I used a fair bit of water to wash all the bubbles and crap off.

For the cost, i might go get a other pack tomorrow and try again, and use metho to wipe the rim down.

oldcorollas...are they a single piece sticker, or individual pieces?
  4. Ps...on a side note, how do i mention someones username? ie get it red with their avatar next to it?
  5. usernameusername does it

Huh, that's @ then username
  6. 4 individual pieces make up one rim, there is enough for overlap, and they chuck in a few extra 1/4's in case you stuff up :)

the reflective ones are very reflective in headlights
    $24 delivered for 1 set is not too spendy
  7. Cool...thanks for that. I will try the supercheap ones again tomorrow with a metho clean on the rims and see how it goes
  8. I went and got more of the rimtape this morning. Cost me a grand total of $4, cos they are having a sale!!

Took yesterday's effort off the rims, and cleaned them with metho. Was a bit surprised how much more crap came off....re attached the new rimtape. Seems to be holding better this time round. Time will tell I suppose.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lesson learnt
    don't botch the job:troll:
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Nice man,

I like that idea!