Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

superbikes without slipper clutch 09

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by OG, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Will any of the super bikes for next year still not have slipper clutches?
    And for that matter which 08's did not have slippers?

Cheers still trying to narrow down my buy for the start of next year
  2. Eh? I thought almost every bike already has a slipper clutch. It's that lever on the left handle-bar, coupled with basic bike handling skills.
  3. :LOL: @ Flux

You know what's worse? You can't get a single production bike with a quickshifter, carbon brakes or wheelstand control either. What's an Across owner to upgrade to? It's a disgrace.
  4. i dont own a car or use public transport for the past 2 years rain or shine ive been out there going to work every day, i feel in the rain this could be a usefull thing so dont give me shit about not knowing how to ride.

I dont think i need it but 14+k is a lot of money to me and i feel a slipper is worth putting some weight on because of the minor safety advantage
  5. Does a slipper clutch mean no engine braking? Because I love my engine braking...
  6. I think the slipper clutch works for when you downshift at a very high rpm coming into a corner and the slipper clutch limits (slips) drive to prevent the back wheel from compression lock. Someone can probably better explain. You can still engine brake.
  7. It means it's less likely to slide the rear wheel under engine braking. You can set some of them up so that there's virtually no engine braking, but most people don't.

Locking up the rear wheel under compression braking happens rarely on the road, and it's not much of a big deal when it does. As far as checkbox criteria for a roadbike goes, especially for a commuter rider, it's a silly basis on which to rule bikes out.

Think of it this way - engine braking is only really strong enough to lock up the rear wheel when the revs are up very high. On a street superbike, this means you're changing down to first gear at, what, 100-180kmh?

Not very bloody often!
  8. A proper aftermarket slipper clutch can normally be dialled in to whatever engine braking level you want. Don't know if manufacturer supplied slipper clutches are adjustable like that. They might be.

Basically you can have no engine braking, or full engine braking (ie. the same as having no slipper clutch installed), or something in-between. Its primary function is to prevent engine over-rev or rear compression lock-up if you click to a lower gear and dump the clutch too quickly. Most notably an issue at the race-track where if you miscount your gears and downshift one gear too many and drop the clutch at some high speed, the slipper clutch will try to cover your arse and stop the rear from hopping all over the place, or stop the engine from over-revving (small capacity engines) and doing damage.

Possibly of limited use in the wet. Wet traction is lower, so depending on how the slipper clutch action is set, you could still end up breaking traction on the rear if you dump the clutch.

They are of fairly marginal benefit for road riders in that respect then. When down-shifting, just get into the habit of slowly letting the clutch out and listening if the engine is starting to rev too high, which indicates that you've messed up your gear choice, whip the clutch in and upshift.

Good for ham-fisted numpties I guess. Good for racers, but they tend to use them differently (downshift, dump, and let the slipper clutch do the work - which burns out the clutch quickly but is unimportant over the distance of a race), but it frees up some of their concentration for the corner entry. Makes no difference at all for the truly skilled racer other than being a "nice to have".

IMO, it's one of those technologies developed on the track and used for one purpose, but is often misunderstood and gets begged to be included on road bikes to cover for ineptitude.
  9. so do any superbikes not coem with them standard currently?
  10. My 2 cents, I've commuted for 5 years on vtwins with significantly more engine braking than an inline 4. Not even once had to worry about locking the rear wheel.
    So your point is completely mute.

If a large portion of your riding is commuting, you shouldn't even be looking at litre sport bikes. Too much power, expensive to run and maintain and expensive insurance. Plus they tend to knicked so parking on the street becomes an issue.
  11. :LOL:

How about you pick the one that you think is prettiest, and then ask about that one, and then we can tell you "google it?"
  12. thanks for the help
  13. Agreed. On a litre-bike, a slipper clutch is really only useful when braking down from >200kph speeds. At lower speeds compression lockup isn't even an issue unless you do something really stupid like travel at 160kph in sixth gear, downshift to first without blipping once, and then dump the clutch as quickly as possible. I doubt that it's even possible to get compression lockup at <120kph speeds on a litre bike, even when trying to do so. Maybe it's possible, but by gee you'd be trying hard to be stupid to do it.

For commuting purposes, or even for a fang in the hills, a slipper clutch isn't going to make one whit of difference, and to select a bike on the basis of whether or not it has a slipper clutch for purposes of commuting is completely missing the point.
  14. Triple?

Triumph Sprint ST triple? Dem's sports-tourers, not superbikes, aren't they? :-k
  15. sorry i probally should have said sportsbike not superbike im looking at the 600-750 range
  16. If you're spending 5 days out of 7 commuting and 1 out of 7 having fun, I wouldn't be looking at sport bikes.
    Something like a Triumph Street Triple, FZ6 or Z750 will fit the bill much better.

Sport bikes are good as toys, not really that practical for everything else. These days they're so sharp that most people ride faster on more sedate bikes like those above.
  17. The R6, GSX-R and the ZX6R have got them. The CBR and 675 don't, but they're still bloody good bikes and you'd be a complete gomer to lock them up on the road.
  18. thanks loz
    ive read that the cbr next year will have abs, surley they would put in a slipper before an abs option i would guess so

19. You have the wrong idea about slippers. They are not a safety feature.
  20. Slipper clutches? New fangled technology strikes again! DAMN!

What happened to the good old-fashioned dry clutches, in all their shuddering, juddering, brilliantly brutal goodness?

Looks like a custom job is becoming more and more likely at this point...hmmm...