Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Superbike School or track day?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by UDLOSE, Jan 15, 2010.

1. I was going to hijack the other thread but decided against it.

I'm looking to do the superbike school level 1 soon, I'm an expirienced road rider so I don't think I'll be in over my head, the goal is to refine my skills/inprove form etc and prepare myself for track speeds.

I've never done a track day before, I only recently got all my gear in order. The question I have is am I better off doing a regular track day first or doing the superbike school first?

I want to make the most of the sbk school so should I be comfitable with the track before attending or is intended for people who have never been on the track?

I know I can't go too wrong either way but I'd still prefer to hear from someone whos done the school.

2. You are absolutely better off doing the School (level 1) first. It's effectively designed to give you the skills right from the beginning to get you out on track safely and competently.
    Do the school and you will see what I mean. No matter how good a road rider you may be, they will give you valuable tools to improve your riding on and off track.
  3. awesome thanks mate! That's what I was assuming but I have a mate (who hasn't done the course) saying that I should do a track day first to get the most out of the day which didn't sound right to me. That's why I wanted to check with someone who's actually done the course.

Now all i need to do is find $500 and I'm there!

EDIT: and wait 3.5 months for the next day! I put myself on the waiting list for the one in a month's time.

4. I agree with Titus. I did level 3 last year and for the first time I did a track day the following day. I was very apprehensive about doing a track day partly becuase I thought I'd be knackered from doing level 3 the day before and partly because I thought a track day was like race practice and I wouldn't be fast enough etc.

Turns out track days are lots of fun (and I WAS knackered from the day before) and a perfect way to practice the skills you learned at superbike school the day before.

With each of the 3 levels I've done I found there's a lot to take in on the day so being able to practice on-track the day after is really useful.
  5. I just did an Oran Park ride day (Champions - $110) and coaching with RRPA ($150) and the coaching was definitely worth it (Wayne Maxwell spending a day telling and showing you how to ride the track - well worth it!) I wouldn't have got nearly as much out of it if I'd gone in 'cold' by myself.

Maybe worth considering while you wait for a CSS spot...
  6. Sorry guys, I disagree.

I reckon you should just get out on track and enjoy a ride day - no pressure, no learning, just have fun. I'm all for improving skills and doing courses, but really, it's no point if you're not going to have fun.

Just get out on track asap and have a bash!
  7. do the track day first and get familiar with the track.

then on the school day you'll be able to concentrating on the exercises they are teaching you. and trust me when i say this, there is HEAPS to take in on a school day!

i did it this way, did 3 track days before doing Lvl 1 CSS. i was so glad to know the track. talking to some of the other people in my group who were track first timers, they all said being familiar with the track would have made it easier.

lastly, a follow up day at the (same) track to practice what you learn, should be mandatory IMO! gives you time to go over and over the exercises, at your own pace, as at on the school day, you'll only get time to sample each, and not really practice it.
  8. Maybe good advice for CSS, which I'd imagine is a fair bit more intense than what RRPA do (it'd want to be for 3 times the money.)

Follow up day is definitely a good idea - I wish I'd booked in for the following day at OP to THEN trundle around at my own pace and work on what I'd learnt.
  9. I have done a few track days and now plan to do the school. I like that I'm used to riding on tracks at speed, have had time to learn the tracks and get over the normal survival reactions that happen when going stupidly fast.

Now when I do the school I can be in that nice 'riding at 75%' zone to actually learn something, and work on my techniqu instead of feeling like I'm blowing my mind riding at 250kph and not taking anything in. Otherwise the whole day will be spent getting used to the sensation of track riding and not building techinique

My 2c YMMV.

(btw I have also done a Preston MCC race school, but that's kinda dfrnt I reckon)
  10. i did the track day first, however doing my time again would have done the school, purely for the fact that it teaches you the essentials that can be applied in all situations.
    Point taken that knowing the track is beneficial, but the point of the school is not to teach you how to go quick around one track but rather all tracks/roads which i think is paramount
  11. I did CSS first and I think it is the best way, especially realising at the end of the day without the training I would have lost it at turn 2 at EC.
  12. OK. lots of different opinions here. That's OK. But I'll explain why I think the school should come first. They take you through the whole concept of cornering, one step at a time. It starts out very slow, and as you master each aspect, they move on the the next one. If you are doing things wrong, they show you straight away and set you on the right track. By the end of the day you are going much faster, but you have not learnt any bad habits that are hard to get out of.
    IMO you do NOT need to learn the track first. Your first couple of school sessions will be slow and steady and you will be shown the ropes. My experience of track days was that you are expected to know your way around from the start. They're friendly, but you are pretty much on your own.
    CSS is not a race school, it is a cornering school.
  13. I'd go with the track day first option. Go in slow group and you'll find that it's not very different from riding on the road. The slow groups are *slow* so you won't be a road block or be blasted by anyone out there.

I think you'll get more out of the CSS if you've been on a track before and know what its all about. Rather then trying to soak up the school knowledge as well as getting used to track riding at the same time.
  14. Hmmm…
    I can confidently say that was not my experience at Broadford.
    I went with an Instructed Trackday there, so you are in with the normal track traffic, but you have someone setting you with some exercises to get you focused on particular aspects of your riding.
    I can say that at the end of the day I was only a little bit faster than at the beginning, but I was in vastly greater control and safer.
    As for the slow group. My view is that it was the most dangerous group of the day.
    It brakes down something like this. The slow group had 3 key types of rider. The truly slow ones who were little more than moving chicanes. The Ones who couldn’t push through the corners with any vigour or control, but blasted down the straights. And the ones who were quick through the tight stuff but didn’t have the balls to open it up on the straights (I fit this category).
    Over all it wasn’t slow, but it was so varied in skill level that it was quite dangerous. I would have preferred to have been in the intermediate group, Yeah I still would have been blasted on the straights, but I wouldn’t have had the roadblocks in the corners, and I would have trusted peoples lines.
  15. i completely with with FL that the slow group at track days are the most dangerous, you have a huge mixed in skill level, and i found that half way through the day there was quite a speed difference.... as for the trackday or school first, it's a bit like the chicken and the egg, most riders have already picked up bad habits from road riding...i haven't done a school yet, hope too this year, but i agree with the track day guys aswell, it's quite different to road riding, go do a few first and really realise what the bike is capable off
  16. +1 In slow group next Monday at EC. Wanted B2 but booked out.
    The slow group can be bad, you cannot trust anyone's lines as some people will switch mid corner - not good when trying to pass either on the outside or inside. Some people are really slow on corner entry, not good when you catch up to them when you are just about to enter a corner.
  17. I'd def vote for CSS first.

I did CSS L1, and now 3 track days after it - and I guarantee I'm a quicker, safer and better rider than if I used 1 or 2 of those track days prior to the school.

The main thing I'd point out is that the CSS L1 starts with very low speed drills anyway (using only 4th gear, for eg) which gives you a chance to learn the track anyway - following the instructor around like a line of ducklings. It's not until later that more gears and brakes are introduced to the drills and the pace picks up.

Conversely, I can only imagine trying to jump straight into a track day as your first track experience - even the slow group - sounds too easy to get lost in the moment with all the folk passing you and bin it before you get a handle on the track...
  18. It's not just the very slowest group, all 3 slow groups are unpredictable and people take strange lines at strange speeds. And there's always one or a few dickheads that will endanger themselves and others.

But that doesn't change if you've done a CSS or not.
  19. Except that you won't be one of them! :wink:
  20. Ha, have to pay that. :)