Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

superbike school lv1 or track day first?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by jekyll, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Hi

Gagging to take the Street to the track, and about to book in. Also been thinking I'd take some of the Superbike School lessons to guide my progress.

My question is, would I be better off taking the Superbike School level 1 straight up, or a couple of track days first? I've read a few books, done a few courses before (notably Stay Upright Adv 1) and get around corners pretty comfortably - but haven't done track time other than the hot laps at Oran Park during that course, and that was on the Spada what seems like years ago.

Any advice / conjecture appreciated.

2. Actually, I just went ahead and booked in for a vanilla track day ( medium group, Dec 20 ). Cheaper, and slightly more track time which is what I really want at this stage.

Still curious to hear any reports about the SBS though.

3. I think SBS is the perfect intro to the track. They take away the scary stuff by easing you into it, particularly at PI where it is a very fast track.

That's how I did it.

wow that seems like a lifetime ago..............
  4. thanks Triway, think I'll book level 1 after christmas.

Well, now i have another question. Same day I booked the track day I got a nail in my rear tyre ( 5000ks on it and still plenty of grip).

Is using a puncture repair kit on this and taking it to the track stupid? Should I replace it, or can I use it without endangering life and limb?
  5. If it's repaired correctly I see no problem.
  6. excellent - thanks.
  7. I would have said definitely do the level 1 first, but I s'pose it depends on what you've learnt from the other school.

You may find level 1 a bit basic if you've covered it elsewhere and already put it into practise on track.

On the other hand, if you've picked up any bad habits you would be wise to get them ironed out early. And you won't be allowed to progress to level 2 until you do their level 1. At least you'll know for sure what you are supposed to be doing.
  8. For me, the best way of learning this kind of thing is:
    1) learn the theory of the 'proper way' to do something
    2) practice and try to apply it myself
    3) get a pro to critique what I'm doing and point out where I'm going wrong

Probably most of my riding skills need 2 & 3 in various measures, so hopefully a track day and then some SBS will be a good fit, though the other way around would no doubt work too.

In any case, I can tell it's time for a track day because I'm starting to detect a few dangerous glints of ego in my road riding. Need to hang with some fast guys, to remind me that my skills are comparatively limited - before I remind myself, suddenly :eek: