Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Superbike Pitlane Observations

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by VtrElmarco, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I will provide some little observations I made from the pitwalk and race day that normally escapes the TV cameras. Many thanks have to go to Bangr and FR for the corporate ticket for the last half of race day. Much appreciated and may the weather gods provide dry weather for you always. I have a direct line you know…

Alex Barros bike looks like it was sponsored by the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. Fluoro Green and Yellow are a great combination. He rode fantastic all weekend though and should get some HRC go fast kudos in the future I think.

Oh to be the ridiculously good looking James Toseland. Young, fast and signing ladies g-stings in pit lane make for a pretty good lifestyle. He dealt with and over powered and under tired Ten Kate Honda fantastic all weekend.

Power is not everything. Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda all seem to have stupid power levels, but they are coming on like light switches. The Pirellis were struggling with the high temperatures all weekend and 200 plus Hp doesn’t help. Kagayama’s highside between 11 and 12 was pretty big as well.

Troy Bayliss Ducati’s was fast still packed in a shipping crate. The Ducati mechanics unpacked it, filled it with fuel, finished there long macchiato’s and plonked Bayliss on the top of it. His only mistake was going too fast in Race 1. A funny scene was a very nervous Pirelli tire technician visiting the Ducati pit box in Race 2. Every mechanic was throwing him angry glances but all was forgiven after 22 laps.

Bored race mechanics will tune anything. I loved the carbon fibre Acrapovic muffler on a starting engine!

2. :LOL:
    Cheers Sunshine Boy..!
    Great obs. I was also lucky enough to do the pit walks on both days...and found it such a hive of activity...the hoards of mechanics, pit girls, partners..owners, bosses etc..that swarm onto the straight for the beginning of each race is amazing.
    I luv'd watching the mechanics in their white gloves starting the machines, checking and tweaking and re-tweaking them to get them just so...and then the rider was allowed to get on the bike and ride off.. :LOL: :LOL:
  3. It was my pleasure to give you the pass , I was worried that you may start to hump the leg of every super bike crew member you saw , but had faith in you to have control.

I am glad you had fun.

I had a great time. I almost forgot about the bike and tool p0rn. It was great. Have I told anyone that I really like torque wrenches, titanium and carbon fibre...

The Foggy Petronas bikes also looked great (looking great does not translate to being fast though) and I inquired about were I could purchase a road going model but was only given a filthy look.

A big cheer goes out to Karl Muggaridge, Andrew Pitt and Kev Curtain for saying hello to EVERYBODY and posing for a million photos.
  5. Pit Lane is an interesting place to work in at the best of times, even more so at car events during long distance events involving pit stops like the Sandown 500 or Bathurst 1000.

Albert Park during the F1GP is just crazy but it's more fun being in Pit Lane at Broadford, PI or Winton at a Hartwell round or B&C event cos everyone is there for the fun of it and the club level racers seem to appreciate the volunteer marshals more than the pro's do.

Besides it's easier to stir up one of the local racers than an overseas pro.........
  6. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers :cool:
  7. Sounds like everyone had fun, and for a change it wasn't pouring with rain or blowing a gale (or both) at PI.

I'm looking forward to the GP later in the year, should be fun. I'll see how my trusty old Canon T70 handles missile bikes. (It did OK the couple of years I went to the Gold Coast Indy Race)
  8. :shock: well the usual katabatic winds rolled in.........cant stop nature. But usual rain :roll:

How many times in the last 10 years has it rained at the Supers or MotoGP on game day. People from the northern states reckon it rains every day day here :roll:

Cheers :cool:
  9. I recall reading somewhere, may be AMCN or Two Wheels, that you can purchase them from only one shop in Malaysia. Prolly the Petronas factor is involved.
    The bike certainly has a nice zorst.
  10. One of the beauties of the Summit Club is you can take refuge from the extremes of weather.