Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Super Cheap 2hp compressor - any good?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Toecutter, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Got a credit due and with only a few more $$'s could get one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Store/Product.aspx?ID=14296

Anyone got one?

Apart from checking tyres, also like a socket/impact driver (although wont be that much use - basic mechancials and home stuff).

Any other must have accessories?

Thanks in advance
  2. I've got one, and it sorta does the job. I can't quite get through changing over 4 wheels on the 4x4 without it having to start up again, and on the 3rd wheel the rattlegun is really starting to slow down.

I ended up getting an old 90L LPG cylinder, tapping in the appropriate bits, and using it as an extra tank. Sure, the compressor rattles away for a lot longer charging it all up, but there's plenty of flow when it's done. :cool:

Mine's about 2.5yo now, and the only issue it's had (apart from flow rates) is that one of the fittings has a slight leak, causing the compressor to kick in at 3am.. :evil:

For less than 100 beer tokens, it's not bad.
  3. They're a good thing. I have two ganged up with a T piece, filter and regulator. Works a charm.
    When one breaks, I'll just get another.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Now thats an idea!

I was hanging off getting one because I wanted to save a little more for one with a bigger tank but I might just buy one now that will do the small jobs and when I require some spray painting or something I will just get another one.
  5. I've painted a car with the two compressors hooked together. They'll run out of puff on a big panel (think truck bonnet), but will do teh job nicely all teh same.
    Small repairs, painting a bike, no problems at all.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. there's really only one reason to spend lots of money on big, well tested and warrantied equipment - you can't have the thing fail in the middle of a job.

If the thing carks 3/4 through the panel, and you can wait until tommorrow/next month etc to replace it, then the cheap stuff is fine for the DIY'er.

I bought a supercheap compressor a while back - ran for a few years and then seized - so I went and bought another. For the price, it makes sense for me.
  7. When my BMX clubs' old Clisby finally karked it we blew three of these in a row in one afternoons running (minimum requirement for our gate is only 6CFM). They were replaced by my old 6CFM Clisby 8CFM (1hp) which ran for months until replaced by a newer 12CFM unit, and is still our backup.

In my experience the cheap Taiwanese units don't have a particularly useful duty cycle, but then its horses for courses (and you get what you pay for). If you occaisionally need compressed air then OK, but rattle guns and spray guns need a fair quantity of air and a real compressor.

Increasing the accumulator helps but the all alloy compressors are toys basically, thats why some replies involve ganging two together.

My old cast iron Clisby (1hp and 100L accumulator) is 30 years old and still going strong, although a little underpowered for rattle guns.

8. And mine run for an hour at a pop cycling on and off. And have been doing that for two years.

Regards, Andrew.