Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sunrise, sunset...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mav, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hi

last couple of days commuting has brought a riding issue to mind.

Riding in a low sun (read: not as in light levels, but as in the position in the sky) usually in early morning or late arvo, can seriously impact your forward vision.

I have a tinted visor yet find i have to dip my helmet to get some extra shade so i can see in front of me, which makes me realise that cagers can see **** all as the reflecting sun on their windshield glares out their vision.

Case in point, riding to work every morning the traffic has suddenly dropped 15 - 20 km/h in speed as everyone is adjusting to "driving / riding" blind. So aside from generally cager in-attentiveness (is that a word?!?), we have to be even more aware of what's happening around us.

This morning I had a near miss with a bloody bimbo pedestrian crossing a crest after a roundabout exit. Didn't see the silly biatch till I almost rode her down!! Such a bad road, as you are riding up the hill, you can't see a thing the sun is so strong, go through a roundabout at the peak, still can't see anything, then BAM, there she is in the middle of the road. no pedestrian crossing nothing.

how does everyone else handle these low visibility situations?
  2. By the same token, if you have the sun behind you, you will be effectively invisible yourself. This is the one situation where having your headlamp on actually reduces your visibility to other traffic.

The only option is to open your visor and slow down to a speed that matches what you can see. Shading your eyes with your left hand can help but reduces your control of the bike. Too many people seem to think that the difficulties of sunwards visibility absolves them of all responsibility to look.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. You could get one of those sunax things or....

Put some tape on your visor (I'm a tightarse):

4. All you can really do, besides waiting it out, is ride with a overly heightened sence of caution. Look at everyone and assume the worst. I keep my left hand out in front to block the sun, but this is much easier to do on an automatic.

What makes things worse is looking into the sun causes me to have sneezing fits. This might sound weird but it's not that uncommon and there will be plenty of cagers out there doing the same.
  5. I ride east of a morning and west of an afternoon all year round.

I looked at one of those Sunax thing, and Jebus the price!

6. hmmm this man has some good ideas...

and a firm derriere apparantly...

not that i'm looking,

or interested...

it's just that he said.....

oh **** it, i'm deep in a hole now......AH **** I DID IT AGAIN ](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,) SHUTUP SHUTUP GET TO DA CHOPPA!!
  7. I try to channel the driver in the old Pikes Peak hillclimb video "Climb Dance" and ride with my left hand shielding my eyes, if it's an extended period of glare and tilting my head down won't fix it. (Hooray for clutchless shifting, right kids?)
  8. By leaving home/work later/earlier in the day.

Though I am willing to venture as far as the pub down the road to wait out the setting of the sun :).
  9. Talking to yourself lol?

Bored Mav is bored :p.

Your right though a tape is a pretty good idea but is there something that doesnt leave that tape reside?
  10. ^ looks like not a bad solution Lucius. Is that paint masking tape or something a little more permanent. I think I can see an ebay opportunity here.
  11. yes i always talk to myself...what's the problem with that?....shhh don't say that you might sound callous....shut up you you're already in a shit hole from last time....OMG YOU DID IT AGAIN....you're gay...no you are....say that again and i'll blow your head off.../sigh see what i mean???....

i'm not really bothered with tape residue as i bought my tinted visor from ebay and i bought it to ease the glare of the sun, so why not upgrade it with some tape?

if the tape works out well, i might just get it set up right then paint over the length that the tape covers...
  12. It's not a picture of my helmet, just something of the net to use as an example so i am not sure what they used. I have used electrical tape in the past, it holds up well and the residue came off pretty easily; don't know how you'd go with 1000mph tape or the like.

I have also traveled around with my both my visors (clear and iridium) and had the one not suited to the initial conditions in my pack. When i need to change due to glare or because it's too dark i just pull over and swap them. The Shark helmets have a good design for visor release and i can do it easily without taking the helmet or my gloves off.
    I went for a ride with the learner practice guys n girls on saturday. The sun was at the correct angle to cause grief to us all.
    Question is are there any products out now that could help. Id prefer not buying a new helmet as I just bought one a month ago. Im seriously considering the tape idea but would like it to look a little less tacky (but still do prefer function over fashion)
    Any ideas or thoughts welcome
  14. sunglasses inside your helmet
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sunglasses with photochromic / UV sensitive lenses, darken when exposed to UV ligh, go clear without sunllight. I've got some Fuglies (yes, they are) that do the job pretty well.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I have Polaroid prescription sunglasses, one pair in the console in the car and another pair in the Ventura box on the bike...
  17. I generally carry an iridium visor to swap on/off as required. Normally iridium on the way in and clear on the way out of the office. Blocking the sun for my own vision isn't too much of an issue, but glare preventing other road users from seeing us is a whole other problem...

The Monash Freeway has been pretty bad for this over the last month or so. The light hits everyone from behind in the afternoon and you can see exactly zero in mirrors, making splitting particularly hazardous because drivers can't see you coming. IMO the only way to avoid it is to pay extra attention and assume nobody can see you behind them.
  18. What are they like , @hornet@hornet ? I wear prescription glasses and sunnies for distance vision and I've shied away from getting polarized lenses in the sunnies because I've found with polarized non-prescription sunnies that i get a 'looking through an oil-slick' effect when used inside a helmet .
  19. I wouldn't go without polarized sunnies. Yes, you get the 'oil slick' every now & again but I'm not bothered by it. Still, when the sun is low & shining directly into your eyes, polarised sunnies will do SFA. Either wear welding goggles or use the tape. Jam a couple of old credit/library/parking ticket cards up in your helmet between the lining and exterior. Who cares how it looks. Colour them in to match your helmet/bike/leathers/eyes with texta if you must.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeah, you do get the polarized oil-slick, and white cars look pink (that's useful when riding up Oxford Street) but the advantages outweigh that and you soon look 'past' it. Just getting off the bike without having spent the whole time squinting is the big plus....