Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sumoto question for a first time buyer!

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by KenZomgWtfBbq, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Hey all, I am new to the forums and new to motorcycles.

I am looking to get a motorcycle pretty soon (Kawasaki Ninja 250r).

I have had a read through the forums here and Sumoto seem to have a pretty bad reputation amongst these forums, and from what I gather it is because they sell old bikes but claim that they are newer than they actually are?

I am wondering if I buy a 2010 or 2011 model bike off them will I have a problem?

Their $1000 package deal sounds quite good as well.

If they are no good, can you guys recommend me any other dealers? I am willing to travel anywhere in melbourne.

Thanks guys!
  2. In one sentence you say they have a bad rep because they sell old bikes and claim they're young. Then you ask about buying a young bike from them.

How would you know?

If you want to buy a 2011 model, go to a dealership, bargain as much as you can and be pleased you've got the assurance of a decent, supported factory warranty.
  3. if you buy from Sumoto it wont be a 2011 model bike. The compliance may say 2011 but it will be mutton dressed as lamb and you will have problems.
  4. Do a search please this has been covered many times.
  5. I have done a search, I am just wondering if I buy, say a 2011 250r, will it be an older model?
  6. yes.

7. Why would you buy a 2011 from them but not another dealer?

Why would they be so much cheaper than other dealers?

If a price seems too good to be true.....it usually is

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
  8. There's a reason why they only sell LAMS biles (although their RVF400s might not be the LAMS approved ones - they still claim them to be for compliance)... Nobody would go back to them for a 2nd or 3rd bike!

They say "latest 2011 compliance". This means that they've brought in a 5 to 30 year old bike, and put on an "imported vehicle" compliance plate. To do this, they do nearly nothing except putting on a new set of tyres (only because the law says that they must before putting the compliance plate on), and fixing any cosmetic damage. Bear in mind that a Chinese fairing is cheap, and certainly not the same quality as an OEM Japanese fairing. The bikes generally have 15000 to 30000 km on the odo. So, all that being said, you pay a lot more than you would for the same bike elsewhere.

If you don't believe me, try this test that I did... Go in and ask how much it would cost for a CB400 with ABS (this forces them to talk about a bike that's only a few years old). See what ballpark price range they say (and the waiting time to get one). Then compare it to the price of a new bike. Keep in mind that they only give a few months warranty. When I did this test a couple of years ago, the difference was a few hundred bucks. With a bit of bargaining, you'd get a new bike down to the same price.

Compare prices with other bikes that are for sale, and if need be, add $600 for a new Chinese fairing. You'll soon work out that you're paying for the "$1000 free gear", and you could even get that stuff cheaper elsewhere...

Anyway, that's my 2c.

9. If you did a proper search then you would not be asking this question.