Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

suitable 250

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by serafina, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Just a question...

I'm looking at the FZR & Ninja as potential first bikes. Sort of leaning more towards the Ninja right now as i've been told Kawasaki is super reliable. I'm just wondering are these the sort of bikes you would want comprehensively insured?

Also, can anyone tell more more about the Learner course (in nsw). Is the course held in groups or can you get something more one on one?

Thanks heaps!

Only another 4-6 weeks with any luck :)
  2. From my experiences, the kawasaki is the more reliable, fzr's can suffer from fuelling/carb troubles (at least that's the experience I had).

Personally I reckon the cbr250 is the pick of the sports 250's, there were many times that I'd wished I had a reliable bike such as these. Just remeber though that there are bad bikes of all models in amongst the good 'uns.

Comprehensive insurance on both of these bikes will be a ridiculous amount, you may want to check with insurers first. Insuring naked bikes is far cheaper if you're a new rider.

It's a waste of money spending upwards of $5k on a 250 IMO, when you can get a good bike for far less that you won't be afraid to drop. Also, bikes at the lower end of the price range won't depreaciate any more than what you paid, so you'll get all of your money back when it comes time to sell.

Cheap and cheerful is the way to go IMO.
  3. No used, old 250 will ever be guaranteed to be 'super reliable' mainly because of the many cash-strapped learner owners (we've all been one!) the bike will have had.

Any late model Jap bike will/should be reliable, but the 250's you've mentioned are in a high state of tune, and are fussy when it comes to carby setup and fuelling requirements.

I wouldn't hesitate to say that generally most 2 cylinder bikes will be more more reliable than the 4 cylinder bikes you're favouring.
  4. Thanks for the advice cammo!

I'm totally aware comprehensive insurance costs a bucket load - i can't afford it - which is why i asked if it would be a really dumb idea to get a ninja or fzr and not comprehensively insure it. i kind of assumed they might be a bit more of a stealable item compared to a few other 250s.

i'd love a honda, really would. was drooling over the CBR250RR's. but again i thought, i can't afford to comprehensively insure it and i can imagine something that hot looking getting knicked for sure. it would be a major worry.

i heard the same thing about the FZR's which is why i was a bit wary of them.
    i am quite keen on the ninja...sigh! :roll:
  5. If you like Hondas then why not consider a Spada? No fairings so you dont' have to worry about smaching all those expensive bits of plastic, it's a V twin so it isn't as 'highly strung' as the 4 cylinder 250's, and it's normally a fair whack cheaper than your average CBR/ZXR/FZR sporty thang:

Caringbah Motorcycles sellthem for $3900 on road...

6. You should do some online quotes with your age/stats vs different bikes to see an estimate on what prices you expect to pay. :)
  7. putting what you WANT on hold for a minute, since you mention that you can't afford full comp(a must, in IMHO), why not look at the honda cb250?

i don't think that type of a motorcycle is too high on the thief-list if you choose not to take out full comp...
  8. I totally agree with that.
    Personally if i couldnt afford comp. insurance then i wouldn't have got a bike. But thats just me.
    The CB's - naked, dirt cheap, easy and cheap to repair are probably the way to go if you arent going to have it insured. Sur its not as "sexy" as the faired bikes your looking at but lets face it, chances are you'll only have it for the minimum amount of time you have to, so it doesnt really matter.
  9. i considered naked bikes - especially the spada...
    until i saw someone riding one out on the road. hehehe

*you are all so right. i totally agree- BUT*

i'm young & stupid. you know what it's like. you've been there too! :p

i'm only 18 and luckily through selling something else quite large, found enough money for a bike.
    it's not likely i'm going to find/have this much money again in the near future (that's just my circumstances unfortunately) so i'd like to get something i'm going to like for quite a while!

i guess i'm just trying to figure how safe it's going to be in regards to theft or if i'm making a hugely stupid mistake...do i have heaps to worry about? an old faired sports bike with a lock or two on it?
  10. If you're worried about theft, then you can take out 3rd party, fire and theft cover, which will be a shedload cheaper than comprehensive insurance at 18 years old. This just doesn't cover those fairings when they eventually hit the deck...

I can sympathise with you knowing the bike that you want, but do you realise now much comp insurance will be on one of these? I wouldn't be suprised if it was 75% of the cost of the bike- each year!

There are some good disc locks out there with alarms that go off when moved, these work quite well, but only if you or others are around to here it. Parking the bike in a well lit populated area with a highly visible disc lock on it will deter most thieves, but there's not a great deal out there that can be used in public areas to stop theft.

Theft is not something I've really worried about. At a guess I would think most stolen bikes would be bigger than 250cc (600's seem popular, parts are easy to sell, and they can be turned into track bikes.)

Edit: I've only ever had insurance when living in the city.
  11. yer, bottom line is if they want to steal your bike, they will regardless
  12. i totally realise how much comp would be on one of those bikes.
    i've called the insurance places. at least $2000 a year. way beyond my budget!

3RD party fire and theft would be a great option - i'll look into it
  13. Call AAMI they insured my new Hyosung GT250R for 700 and im only 21.
  14. You're in Sydney right? Look up LAMS and your priorities may just change.....

Regards, Andrew.

15. I saw one of these the other day and wondered what it was - looks like a very short bike. Im 6"4' am i too big?
  16. I'd say you're on the larger side to be comfortable on most sports 250's, leg room is the main issue.

The Hyo 250's are apparently bigger than most, but the gs500 will probably be more suitable. Go and have a sit on e few different models.
  17. Cheers mate
    That's the problem with being lanky - not a big learner bike range and all are expensive too... :cry:
    Meh - i keep saving! :wink:
  18. Bah, I dont agree with any of you, why? because I am a motor pricing analyst, what does that mean? well i figure out what premium you should pay (using statistics, no... I am not an underwriter)! A noob with comp bike is going to drop the bike sooner or later, probably with in the first year of riding? how much is a CBR worth? about $4000, how much damage are they likely to do to the bike $4000, hence the reason for high premiums for nooooobs (+$1500).

I only have third party! why? because I am most likely to run into a BMW. Plus it give me motivation to not drop the bike or get it stolen.

19. I know what you mean, every morning I have to firmly put the phone down when trying to arrange getting the bike stolen.

:wink: :p