Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suggestions For Testing Electrical System

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Ride, May 11, 2010.

1. Hi there,

I currently have a Yamaha Zeal in storage, its been that way for well over 1 and half years. Problem was the battery would quickly go flat, even if it was an expensive brand. I tested 4 different battery brands and $400.00 later the problem was still occuring. What happens is that the bike when going will last approx 20-30 minutes on a full charge, then suddenly the headlight will dimm, the actual bike will begin to shutter back and forth and then nothing. When I attempt to restart it all I get is a dimm headlight and the starter clicking over.

This bike has 43,000kms on the clock, was quite a good runner but again, I haven't started it in over a year so I'm looking for some direction to good information which describes the tasks to complete before trying to fire up a bike which has been idle for some time. In addition, in regard to the electrical problem - where do I start? Exactly what tests can I perform to determine what is causing the problem because I have been offered a decently priced stator coil which I initially thought was the problem but I don't want to jump into purchasing anything yet in-case I burn my wallet again.

These are tests I made and tasks I completed last time I had the bike running to try and determine the problem:

Checked wiring system for any shorts occuring (none found)
    Rising volts test (come back clean from memory but will run another just to be sure)
    Checked and changed all fuses.
    Changed all bulbs incl. headlight
    Can't think sorry, but any suggestions will be appreciated so don't hesitate to put forward some ideas because I put aside all commitments for this weekend so that I have time to fix this bike.

2. Sounds like a regulator/rectifier. Basically regulates the amount of power the battery gets for charging, too much, cooked battery, not enough, flat battery. Could be wrong though, electricity is tricky!

What voltages were you getting at the battery with bike off & on?

Best bet is to find a service manual for your bike, should give you some diagnostics tests to do.