Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suggestions for next bike purchase.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Kow8ell, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Well, I've just sold my Suzuki 250 Intruder and am looking for something with a bit more grunt. I am after a bike that fits the following criteria (if possible!)

* LAMS Approved (I'm on restrictions for another 12 months).
    * 400cc or above
    * Preferably 00' model or newer (maybe late 90's if in good nik)
    * No sports bikes or trail bikes
    * $4,000 MAX price
    * Non-cheapo brands.

The few bikes I'm really interested in are the XVS650, GSX650FU and CB400 although it's a bit of a stretch trying to find any in my price range.

The other bikes I have thought about are the GS500F and the ER-5. I've seen a few of these within my price range.

Does anyone know of any bikes for sale or have any suggestions for a bike that will fit the above criteria??

Appreciate the assistance! :banghead:

2. G'day Kow8ell (why couldn't I think of a name like that?). I have the GS500F and it is pretty good. Runs at 5000rpm doing 100k, with reserve. So far I have travelled 400km without hitting the reserve. Power seems OK - I can't spin the wheel in the dry, but I don't want to. I may keep it after LAMS but a bit more power would sometimes be great. It weighs 200kg wet, but feels well balanced. Probably a good step up from a 250, but if you want a little more oomph, you might look at the 650. LAMS does have all your choices by the balls whatever you do.
  3. I would highly recommend the GS500F. You may be able to get one for 4k but it would be an older model. I just moved off mine on to a GSX-R750 now. I will never regret having learnt on a GS. It was fantastic. I still have it and will be up for sale soon(ish), but over your price range. Still I highly recommend you look in to them and take one for a ride. You won't regret it.
  4. Thanks guys for the recommendation. I have been looking at the GS500 for quite some time. I might just keep a look out for one. I guess since it's now winter, it's the right time to buy!
  5. SV650?
    They made a couple of LAMS ones I relieve. Not sure if you will pick one up for under $4K but anyhoo!
  6. Hi CraigA. Yeah, I had thought about the SV650, however, the LAMS versions (from 2008) are well above $4,000. I've seen some non-LAMS one's for less than $4,000 but that doesn't really help me. The pricing of LAMS bikes is just crazy!!
  7. #7 CraigA, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    I personally think the GS500 is a nice little bike but something out of left field to consider is an old beemer. They may not be to your liking but worth a mention. Pretty sure something like an old R65 is on the LAMS list. Here's one: http://www.bikesales.com.au/private...&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&__sid=13D475F2AFCA&__N=1432 604 1430 1626 1429 1626 1428 4294967253 4294953646

You should be able to pick one up within budget and they go ok. Not as new as you were chasing but you shouldn't lose any money on it when you sell it for the bike you actually want once you get off your restrictions.

Just an update: There are a few other BMW bikes that are also LAMS approved, like the scarver which are a later model. I don't think you will get one for $4000 though. There are a few around for $6K on bikesales though.
  8. BMW R65, not really meeting 2000 and above.
  9. Well that's what I must have meant when I said:
  10. My post wasn't at you, you suggested the F650, the R65 is a different (older) bike.
  11. #11 CraigA, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    My apologies. I was primarily thinking R65 and the Scarver was an after thought.

You'll never guess what bike the bikesales link I provided opened up to. I'll give you a hint. I named the bike in the sentence leading up to the link (R65).

Perhaps that explains why I thought your post was aimed at me. LOL
  12. Thanks guys. I had contemplated a F650 but I don't really like the look of them, plus it is hard to find one under $4K. The R65 is way too old for my tastes. ATM I'm really liking the CB400 and GS500.
  13. The GS500 has a forward lean of about 8 degrees more than the CB400 and a slightly higher seat. have you ridden them both ?
  14. Nah, I haven't ridden either of them as yet. They are what I am currently most interested in though.
  15. Fair enough, next step then is to see if you can find some to ride or at least sit on. Sometimes you just feel right on one setup and not on another. They will both be very different to what you are used to in lean angle and knee angle.
  16. Thanks for the tip Mcsenna. I'm currently scanning all the usual places online & offline for some to check out. I may even go to Melbourne and visit some of the bike shops, even if just to have a look c.

I doubt I'd buy from a dealer as I can't imagine them knocking much of their ticketed prices for 2nd hand bikes, even with cash in hand. But, on the other hand, if a dealer has the right bike, there's no harm in asking, eh?
  17. No harm in asking mate if you have the cash in hand. They will do a deal if the situation is right for them and they can only say no.
    Now trying to do a deal with a trade in on a second hand bike can be tough!
  18. Let us know how you get on. I've bought privately and from dealers, if you arent that mechanically minded its a bit safer I guess and dealers have to shift stock so often you can do deals on used bikes.
    It's a good idea to do some research online and make a list of whats for sale at what price so you know roughly what to expect.
  19. Thanks for the tips guys, will do! (y)
  20. Def do your research mate or buy from a dealer. I bought my GS500F from a dealer because I first almost bought two others privately of which one turned out to have money owing and the other a repairable right off!. This one's been brilliant, will be sad to see her go. My take - go to a dealer mate.