Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suggestions for drag bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Pucko, Mar 31, 2013.

1. I'm getting more and more into drag racing and have been using my 03 gsxr1000 which is a lot of fun. Ive lowered it a bit and ran a front strap. I'm still a novice down the quarter mile but have run a best of 10.3@144. I know with more practice I could definitely crack a 9.
    But I'm thinking at tax time which is only a couple of months away,it's time for another bike. I'd like to keep my gsxr for the road and occasional track day and get myself a bike purely for drag racing.
    I've narrowed it down to 4 bikes. I haven't ridden any of them yet ( ill do that when its closer to purchase time) so I'm looking for owners or if you've ridden one of these to give me your opinion.
    Firstly the two obvious and proven quarter mile machines are the zx14 and busa. Both big power and torque but also a bit heavy to start with.
    The other two are the latest generation zx10r and a second hand s1000rr. Both with big hp but also lightweight.
    The yanks are running some seriously quick times on the kawa and BMW so they have caught my attention as they'd be something a little different at the track.
    I wouldn't be going and putting wheelie bars on but in the end the bike would be lowered, air shifter and stretched a little eventually.
    If you've owned or ridden these bikes, give me your opinion.
    Or even if you haven't ridden one let me know what you guys think, what would you go with?
    Cheers.

2. I would personally go for the ZX14. Part of that is because of my size, I can fit on it much better than the 10r or the Bus.

Also it has a longer wheelbase than the 10r starting out. It would be quite hard to choose between the two kawasakis for me, but either one would be great.

Any of those bikes are going to be great fun as a drag bike. I think you would be best to have your budget, then grab the best bike available when the time comes. Maybe narrow it down to 2 of them, then pick the best example when you have the cash.

3. Why not buy an already set-up bike from someone who's done all the hard work already?

4. ^^^Thats a good question, but theres a few reasons I wouldn't do that.
    1. It doesn't cost a lot of money to set up a bike and run quick times when you start with a bike that has 180+hp.
    2. A bike that's been drag raced and not knowing how well that person serviced/maintained it is a worry.
    3. I enjoy working on and doing mods to a bike as much as I enjoy riding them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lots of ZX12's going cheap too, worth a look.