Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suggestions for a days drive around Queenstown NZ

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Ljiljan, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Heading off to southern NZ over chrissy/NY for a bit of thrill seaking and hiking. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent days drive (couple hundred k's) around some good bits. Currently I'm thinking heading up to Wanaka and spending a bit of time at the puzzle centre and returning via lake Dunstan. Any other ideas?

2. Re: A days drive around Queenstown

I've only driven around Queenstown and it's surrounding areas during the winter months, and in a shitbox van, so the driving conditions weren't the best, but the drive from Queenstown to Wanaka via Cardrona was very scenic. I can't comment about Lake Dunstan as we didn't drive back that way. Have fun though, it's a beautiful place.
  3. If you have the whole day, and the weather is nice, you can go out of downtown towards Arthurs Point, where the Shotover Jets base is, and follow that road to Coronet Peak. If the weather is clear, great photo spots from up there. Then continue on to Arrowtown, much hype, nothing special, and then follow on up Crown Range, Cardona etc to Wanaka.

Last time we came back via Lake Dunstan, nice drive with a few wineries along that road, and afternoon tea in Cromwell. Then stopped off at the old gold mine and the old hydro scheme site enroute to the bungee jump place at the Kawarau Gorge suspension bridge.

If you have a half day to kill, a drive up to Glenorchy for lunch or whatever is quite scenic and a chance to see the start of lake wakatipu at Rees River inlet.

The old steam boat ride across to the sheep station for dinner is also a nice end to a day.

ps.. sorry not into the thrill seeking stuff so no recommendations there.