Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suggestion for new bike for partner

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kelzdayt, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I'd like some suggestions for an affordable bike for my partner who hasn't ridden for a while.

I ride a Triumph Daytona 600, and live around Coffs Harbour, so tend to ride weekends on great country roads. Partner has a bike licence, hasn't ridden for years, and we'd like to get him a bike. He's 6'2", so fairly tall.

Can't afford a new bike, so I was thinking an older CBR600 or Kwaka 750? Not sure on maintenance issues on an older bike.

Any suggestions?

Kelz :D
  2. older CBRs are great bikes, bit small IMO, but very friendly. personally, i MUCH prefer the thundercats, they go for the same sort of price and are a bit better suited to touring with no suffering in the performance stakes. plus they still make them so parts are piss easy to get :D (i miss mine :( )

the kinda kwak 750 you'll get for similar money is an AWESOME bike, and i want to get another one soon, but might not be the best for touring. pretty focused bike and they handle REALLY well especially for the weight, but yeah, not tourers....
  3. The yzf series (600 thundercat, 750R, and 1000 thunderace) can quite often be picked up at a relatively low cost (between 5-7000) and are quite comfortable and spacious. They do perform quite well. They tend to be cheaper than the equivelant cbr's.

The 750 ended production in 1997, but the 600's and 1000's have kept going mainly unchanged so parts should be easy to come by.
  4. Agree with that. Thundercat was the other bike on my list when I bought the VFR750. Great bike
    ZX7 Kwaka is also an excellent bike. Great tourer and good range too. Add a little fairing and away you go.

I am assuming your partner has a full licence BTW.
  5. Thanks for the suggestions. Having had the luxury of buying nearly new bikes each time I've bought one (as I'm mechanically inept) what specifically should I be looking to watch out for with one of the older bikes?
  6. Two Wheels magazine regularly runs a feature on buying 2nd hand, give them a call and ask for a back-copy of the relevant issue.
  7. For a comprehensive list of things to look for see https://netrider.net.au/articles/?page=used_bike_guide

In general you will just be looking for signs of abuse and neglect - broken bits, obviously shoddy repairs, etc. If the person can produce service records then great. I would not suggest buying a bike without a RWC or equivelant - if these bikes were in RWC condition then they should get that for you.