Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stupidly Large Head

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Ulaa, Aug 11, 2008.

1. I have one.

I have been trying to find a larger sized helmet for months. I have a Nolan 102 XXL (slightly too small) I am waiting for a Shark XXL to come in that I can try (hoping it will fit). I have tried a HJC XXXL (slightly too big and I don't like HJC, they feel like buckets)

I have tried XXL in Shoei, Arai, HJC, Nolan, and they are either so small I cant fit my head into them or they are painful to get on / off and to wear.

Does anyone know of an Aussie standards approved custom helmet maker or some way to engage a known/current maker in order to get larger sizes as I have been told that XXL is as big as most makers can supply.

2. :rofl:
    :rofl:
    :rofl:

i feel your pain, i am a big boy, with a big melon, and it is not possible to get my head comfortably in to many lids.
    I have had success with AGV, Lazer, Nolan and Nitro.
    i dont hold much hope for you with the shark, unfortunately.

3. +1 for AGV fitting another owner with an overly large melon :grin:

4. I know the feeling. I check out new helmets regularly to keep an eye out for anything that will fit me. So far, the only ones that fit me comfortably are the HJC CL-14/15 (XL), Nolan N84 (XXL) and a couple of Arai's in XXL. Because of cost, I currently have a CL-14. Its pretty comfy, the only problem with it being that road noise is a little loud.

5. I too have a CL-14 that I'm fairly happy with, certainly considering how little I paid for it. I don't find it loud but it does fog like a bastard and the visor mechanism isn't very good. Both significantly less good than its predecessor CL-12.

I know the OP has stated a dislike for HJCs, but HJC do produce a fairly wide range of models and, having tried a few on, there are differences in feel and quality between them. It might be worth revisiting.

6. I had the same issue on the weekend while shopping for my new helmet, I must have tried on 8 different type/brands of helmets in the largest sizes the store had with them all being too small (besides the Shoei I ended up with that seems to just fit XL TZR) XL Sharks and XXL AVG and whatnot seem to be way too small.

7. If you're looking for XXXL lids they will all feal like buckets.
    Is your head to round or to long?

I have a XL HJC CL15 that fits my longish melon :) Most other lids didnt cover my chin.

I dont now of any custom made helmets AS approved or not.

8. Thanks for the suggestions guys. My first helmet was the CL12 and that's the main reason I'm not a fan. Dont get me wrong it wasn't a bad helmet (I was wearing it during an off and I'm still here so it did what I bought it for).

I don't know if my head is too round or too long cause each helmet I try on has a different issue. On some I cant even pull it over my head, on others my chin is hard up against the guard.

Having said that I went into Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket in down town Sydney last Saturday. ( http://www.mcas.com.au/pw/pages/home.php ) I had a chat with an excellent young guy on staff there (tall, skinny, pierced eyebrow but I didn't get his name) and he showed me an Arai and a Shoei model in XXL which actually fit me pretty well. He didn't over sell and stand over me for the cash, in fact he actively encouraged me to take my time and think about it. An excellent sales guy, I will be going back for a deeper look at the helmets and some time wearing them this saturday.

With service like that Im also going to ask for some advice on up gunning my C50 with a few toys as well. I will let you know how the buying process goes, if at all.

9. I tend to have the same problem with many lids and it seems to be getting worse with modern designs. One of the reasons why I favour HJCs is that they don't feel quite as claustrophobic in this regard. I had a helmet a few years ago (manufacturer either extinct or not available in Aust) with a chinguard that was too short (it was cheap and otherwise fitted very comfortably) and discovered my mistake on my first long ride at speed. The wind pressure forced the lid back into my face and, although it wasn't too uncomfortable initially, I found that after 300 km, the constant pressure resulted in my jaw joints becoming very painful. Not an experience to be recommended.

Good luck in your hunt. MrsB has just bought a Shoei and, for the first time, I am very impressed with it in terms of fit and finish. Previous Shoeis I've seen have not really seemed (to me) to live up to their reputation, but this one is a very nice lid indeed.