Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stupid Question 2343984934

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dastrix, Apr 30, 2009.

1. So... I need to know where I should be positioned on the bike. Do i have my balls against the tank, or a gap... ie: do i sit further back.

Issue im finding is that its far more comfortable sitting back but then I just slide forward which is highly annoying.

Other issue is, when im forward my back brake is in a less than desireable position and it makes it difficult for low speed stuff using it... I find my foot is on the brake when im so far forward..

What should I do!?

Its a CBR 600 F2, and im a fairly big guy. 90kg, 6'1

2. set your bike up for you.

I generally find I am siting near the tank, though.
  3. For every day riding I sit right up against the tank, gripping it with my knees/thighs to take the weight off my back and arms. Gives you more direct control and feeling when leaning over too, and you don't move as far to knacker yourself when you hit a bump.

Regarding the brake, I don't know if your pegs and foot controls are adjustable, but it's worth a look. You shouldn't be riding with your foot on the brake the whole time anyway - you could be triggering your brake light and confusing the hell out of the people behind, or wasting power and brake pads if they are making contact with the disc. I find if I turn my feet out a little and rest the inside of my boot on the side of the brake/gear lever I know exactly where they are when I need to use them.
  4. Naa its not on it, i do move it.. but yeah.. I think i need to spend some time adjusting stuff, its just not right.

Thanks foer the tips, ill move far forward ;)
  5. LOL, a big no-no! If you're sitting like this at the moment, wait until you do your first emergency brake or you bottom out. Your balls will be nowhere near the tank after that. Haha
  6. best tip i got when i asked this exact question a bit over a year ago was to grip the tank with your legs more

you'll find you can sit pretty much anywhere you want on the seat without moving, find whichever way is the most comfortable on your back and arms

will feel weird/tiring at first but you'll soon get used to it and do it without even realising
  7. You should sit up to the point where you try to centralize the weight mass on the bike.

In addition, you shouldn't sit so back to the point where your arms are more straight than bent (I've seen this plenty of times out on the road). Your arms should be nice and relaxed, with elbows bent and knuckles higher than the wrist while in normal riding position.

In sum, you may not necessarily be "balls on the tank", but there shouldn't be a big gap between the fuel tank and your torso.
  8. I do use my legs on the tank.. i think its my annoying seat, i slide forward ALL the time... ill fiddle with the adjustments on Saturady and see what I can come up with... something isnt right thats for sure!
  9. sorry mate, i missed question 2343984933 :grin:
  10. LOL be prepared for the next one then :D
  11. HART recommend you sit back, that way when you lean forward, your forearms are more likely to be parallel with the ground and set up for efficient counter steering.
  12. Funny that cause the stay upright L-s ex police rider instructor basically had my balls sitting on top of the tank...

i don't sit like that now I sit slightly further back because of my height making that position almost as if i have to lean backward to have a good arm position...

I grip the tank with my knees and find this gives a good safe position if i go over a speed hump as to avoid squashing the hell out of things i don't want to squash... i learned that one the hard way.

Having said all that yesterday i saw a scooterer squid with his feet sitting back near his exhaust adopting the sports bike position... He was also running that thing at full twist the whole time as he was going significantly quicker than me on my 250... I had to lol so hard.
  13. Now theres some mental imagery :?

If you sit that close, when you hit a bump with a full bladder you will seriously regret it! Especially if the tank is pointy, eg. cbr250rr.
  14. ...Sometimes I have to wonder to myself...

Sit where the seat puts you, or buy a new seat if the one you have is buggered and sit where THAT puts you...
    From there, you move around all over the place...back, when braking, to the side a little when cornering, or hugging the tank and snug against it when cruising if you want.
    Most seats are angled down toward the tank a little - helps to keep you in place.
    Just find YOUR spot and get used to it...then move around as required from there.
  15. Move around, do whatever feels good. Under heavy brakes, move back. Under hard gas, either move forward to keep the front down, or back to help it up.
  16. I guess that means the front end of your seat's in pristine untouched condition, Loz! :LOL:

(Edit: Except for stoppies... bah! :oops: Is it Friday yet?)
  17. Who sits on the seat!
    Im on the tank most of the time..
  18. It's actually a fair question John. Even small movements can upset settings, that's why racers have a bum stop on the duck tail - it keeps them in roughly the same forward/backward possy. ok, ok, not really applicable to typical road riding :)

For someone not thinking about it too much, sitting back in the seat is better than sitting forward - there's less liklihood of "pushing down" on the bar to get the bike to steer. It also means you can slide sideways off the seat more readily and use your knees as levering/pivots/anchor points to haul your weight around rather than using the bars.

Having said that though, there is a school in the U.S. that recommends riding forward in the seat and weight shifting by rotating around the tank. I forget who they are.
  19. Rob you are thinking just from a Sportsbikers perspective here (Entirely understandable) Those weirdoes who ride cruisers (oops did I just say that out loud) will have a different set of criteria.
    I mean the back brake actually works for them without them specifically sitting back, whereas on a sports bike (Well the R6 at least) there is no weight over the back wheel unless you put it there.