Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stupid Photoshop question

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Nov 16, 2008.

1. I want to take the PATTERN, not just the colour, from a picture of a bike in the centre of a 1280x1024 canvas, and use the pattern to fill in the area on either side of the picture (it's 684x1024). Does that make sense? I know you can fill that area with solid colour from the picture, but I want the pattern in the picture...

2. I have PS7 Paul.
    Is this what you want to do?

Using the pattern stamp tool

The pattern stamp tool lets you paint with a pattern. You can select a pattern from the pattern libraries or create your own patterns.

To use the pattern stamp tool:

Select the pattern stamp tool , and do the following in the options bar:
    Choose a brush and set brush options. (See Working with brushes.)
    Specify a blending mode, opacity, and flow. (See Setting options for painting and editing tools.)
    Select a pattern from the Pattern pop-up palette. (See Creating and managing patterns.)
    Determine how you want to align the sampled pixels. If you select Aligned, you can release the mouse button without losing the current sampling point. As a result, the sampled pixels are applied continuously, no matter how many times you stop and resume painting. If you deselect Aligned, the sampled pixels are applied from the initial sampling point each time you stop and resume painting.
    Select Impressionist to apply the pattern with an impressionistic effect.
    Drag in the image.

From the help page
  3. Yes, PS-7.0. I shall try that, thank you :).
  4. If you need any more help let me know :)
    I have an excellent series of PS7 video tutorials that you can borrow if you like.
  5. Or use the Clone tool and do yourself some colouring in.
  6. If you get stuck send through a copy of the file. I work with a Graphic Designer who uses Photoshop all day. I am always getting hints and tutorials and he is more than happy to help.