Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Stupid parking rules in North Sydney

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by alanharris, Jun 3, 2011.

1. I received a ticket for my bike being in a vehicle parking bay with an expired meter. I now know that North Sydney is not like Sydney CBD and you still need to pay for a ticket. Fair enough, I'll cop the parking ticket on the chin...

I spoke to the parking officer as I just caught him after he printed the ticket and he explained the below to me. I didn't see the point in fighting as I was (unknowingly) in the wrong. I did ask if he could let me off this time but he'd already printed the ticket. He was just doing his job and wasn't an ass about it.

Taken from: http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/www/html/6461-motorbike-parking-within-parking-meter-zones.asp

I explained to the officer that me riding a bike to Nth Sydney helped reduce congestion and parking problems so it's quite retarded they still charge for parking and fine people in this situation, which he agreed to.

What he told me next surprised me though... He said if I park just off the footpath (like next to a building or a random area off the road out of the way) then he can't issue a ticket. The worst that can happen is the building owner or tenant gets pissed off.

Conclusion: I think it's really stupid that bikes in Sydney can't park on the footpath like in Melbourne and different councils have different parking rules! Thankfully I rarely need to go to North Sydney.

[/rant]

What do you guys think about this?

2. The fors and againsts of parking on the footpath comparing nsw to vic, has been discussed a number of times.

As to the parking on private property, it will only work until building management or owner complains, then council can book you....

3. It will only work until the owners of the private property have an agreement in place with the local council to issue fines in such areas.

Justus.

4. Try writing a letter saying you bought a ticket but someone must have stolen it or the wind blew it off.