Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stupid L plater mistake

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by DirtyWizard, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Had my bike now for almost 2 weeks. Every day I go through an S bend corner on Dandenong road at malvern (under the train bridge). I've read the cornering for noobs thread and I've been applying the principles. Well yesterday afternoon I reckon I nailed it on the way to the obstetrician (my wifes 4.5 months pregnant, maybe not the best time to get a bike.)

Anyway after the appointment I needed to get petrol so I went for a ride until I found a station gassed up an went back to Dandenong rd to do that corner again and nailed it again.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself I headed home. On the sencond last corner home I was following a black Subaru Impreza Its a tight corner so I set my speed (between 20-30ks) looked through the corner, leant over and Oh no, the Subaru stopped right on my line. I managed to stand upright and swerve, my foot and the exhaust just skidded on the very corner of his bumper bar.

I got cocky after doing well earlier and I think I target fixated scared the hell out of me and the P plater driving - he was only concerned about me which was refreshing from a 20yr old. Scratched his bumper pretty good and a slight scratch on my exhaust.

I've got over 20yrs driving experience and I always look quite a ways ahead in the car, but on the bike last night I was in a world of my own and I didnt notice the traffic slowing in front of the Subaru.

Still pretty rattled this morning but I made a point of riding to work. Learn the basics well guys it could save you lots of hurt.

2. You've learned an invaluable lesson at minimal cost [maybe dirty jocks lol] Never assume anything about a car in front of you, do not stay close to their rear, always have an 'escape route'
    You are only human, but it is these slipt second things that you find how open and vulnerbal you are on a bike. Be careful, glad to hear you're ok !! Come down sat morn for the learner meets behing the BP servo next to the marina!!
  3. Also, you have to be IN THE MOMENT.
    It's dangerous riding a bike if you're mind is wandering (whether it wanders to what's for dinner tonight, how to pay for the new baby's cot, or what was said on the Netrider forum about taking that next corner).
    Be THERE.
  4. Mate, you lived & you learned, & now that you know shit can happen very quckily & sudden you will be more alert & aware of what you are actually doing, which is riding a motorbike.

btw, congats to you & your wife
  5. I learnt this lesson pretty quickly, always be aware of what the traffic in front of the car you are following is doing, I nearly went up the ass of a car on the freeway one afternoon cos he slowed rather abruptly, luckily i had a decent amount of buffer space so I could stop, if I had been the same distance as I would have kept in a car I would have been learning to fly..
  6. Just on Pilgrims note, I used to drive a truck a few decades ago, you sit so you see 'whats ahead' I try and do the same on the bike, if I am on the freeway, forget the guy in front of me I am looking 100 meters up if I see brake lights flashing I start prepping, I tend to go down thru the gears all the time [habit again] which is handy seeing as you need to be in the right gear at the right time.
  7. 2. Been there done that, welcome to the club.
  8. OT, but to the OP; have you noticed how the road is cut up under that bridge? There's some really serious gouges out of the road, particularly in the centre and (I think) left lanes.

You've reminded me - I've been meaning to ring Vicroads about it. I go thru there every Saturday on the way to Dr J's for brekky b4 Saturday practice - which you should come to BTW if you don't already.
  9. Glad all is ok, always leave space, always have a back up plan and always when that helmet goes on always be " in the zone"
  10. +1 on both counts
  11. aint that the truth....used to ride 27km in bumper to bumper traffic, work 10-12hours, ride back 27km in all weather conditions.

you start to get a little immune to car brake lights after a while & zone out...had several occasions where traffic slowed in front, even had a 3sec gap & had to countersteer into an escape lane to avoid rear ending a cage.....never a massive close call, but what is disconcerting is that you let your self get into a situation where you can not stop in time or even head check.
    you'd be amazed how quickly a cage can stop & catch you out even when you leave a nice gap
  12. Good to hear you are picking up the basics and applying what you learn, but like everyone has said, never let yourself be distracted on the bike and never cookie cut your route. You can know it like the back of your hand, but be ready to apply your riding techniques for all situations at all times. There's no such thing as a mistake, only a lesson to be learned from.