Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stuffed CBF250 Big End Bearing. How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by guska, Sep 14, 2015.

1. So a week or so ago, I got cocky when servicing my CBF250. I managed to install the oil filter backwards, of course blocking the oil flow.

Long story short(ish), I rode 36km like that, then diagnosed the problem and flipped the filter around, but the damage had been done.

Took it to a bloke suggested by a mate, who diagnosed a stuffed big end bearing. Due to it being 60,000km in, I'm told by multiple sources that it will need a full rebuild, quoted around the $1800 mark. The bike's worth MAYBE $1500 running right.

I've bought a new bike, but I'd like to figure out what sort of lifespan this one will have. I no longer care if I bin it, so my thoughts are to ride the arse off it on the 1000km old Pirelli Sport Demons that are on it, until it explodes.

How much fun am I likely to get out of it, considering that it sounds like a tractor after about 200km as is?
  2. Sounds good in theory but have you thought through the implications of screaming down the highway on a bike that has just had a big end seize?

I Can think of better ways to get excitement.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Keep your left hand on that clutch lever in anticipation....

If you've already bought another bike, why not have a crack at doing it yourself? You could probably find a manual online or buy one.
  4. If you fancy a split crankcase spewing oil all over your rear tyre, whilst riding at 100kph, feel free.

Have you priced a complete bottom end from the wreckers?
  5. All good points. I had not actually considered the end result. Thanks.

Complete engines go for $400-800 depending on condition and mileage.

You've convinced me to at least tear this one down and learn how it works.
    • Like Like x 2