Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stuff to minimise the damage

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by akaluke, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Yes, I know. Don't crash. Don't drop it.

But just in case, what do people recommend fitting to a bike to minimse the cost of a drop/crash?

What's cost effective, what's not? What are the priorities?

What's the effectiveness of engine case covers, oggy knobs, axle sliders? What else? Worth doing or not?

Discuss. Please.
  2. The cheap option:
  3. I have a set of extremely ugly but very effective (I've tested them :roll:) engine protector bars, from www.renntec.co.uk in England. Check them out, $200 some years ago, $100 for the bars, $100 freight from the old dart...
  4. Well in my experience look for all the extremities of the bike, anything that would touch if he bike hit the deck.

I recon a good cover is Oggies off the fairings and forks, smaller ones on the swing arm, (like extended spools), and motor covers. This all adds up though, and in all honesty if you've got full comp you probably don't 'need' it. Couldn't hurt though, and if you do it well you might add a little bling!
  5. If I had a modern sports bike, I'd do the oggy knobs, but also go and buy a set of cheap ABS plastic from the interweb. I'd then put my standard plastic in storage.
  6. Don't forget oggy knobs could also be bad in some situations
  7. oggy knobs can punch a hole in fairings,
    They can also knock bits off the engine,
    I prefer a few scratches on the lower fairings, cheap to repair,
    On a naked or cruiser, you can get crash bars to suit your particular bike,
  8. Training wheels. Or insurance.
  9. I fitted my bike with a cheap taiwanese made scooter.
  10. protection bar I would say. Oggies, better aesthetically but not as effective, afaik.
  11. oggys knobs can really save ur fairings on a stand still drop.
  12. No personal experience. Sorry.

I know one setup that looks pox, but would probably be very effective, and that's those 905 bars around the engine. Lot of the stunt guys use em, and that's a fair endorsement.

The whole site's worth a look.

There is an ever increasing amount of this stuff coming out. We're not short of choices. Some good advice about what works would be good.

If you go back to the real REAL old school stuff - '80s engines protection bars and what-not, then forget it. It's rubbish. Bends, falls off, lifts the front wheel when you try to lean hard, and doesn't protect a damn thing if you actually drop the bike....

I used about 600mm of L section fencepost once, to mount a pair of driving lights. Four hours into the next trip I hit a roo and ripped one of the lights clean off, bent the post around the engine like liquorish. Of course, I don't know how much damage he would have done if the bar hadn't been there... The spotlight took him in the head, I ducked out of the way, his body kept coming, and my pillion, 2nd or 3rd dan black, took a reflex snap-kick at him and nearly broke his ankle. The bits that were left clipped the left rear shock on the way past and bent it. We stopped and went back to have a look. Skippy was still on the other side of the road than where he'd come from. One paw was curled up in what looked a lot like the final jesture of defience. I don't know, but I think I've been flipped the bird by a roo I just killed...
  13. Very early in my days on the Bonnie, I had crash bars fitted, My eyes were constantly on the bottom of the bars as I cornered, Very unerving seeing how close they were to the ground, so I took them off again,
  14. Oggys are great for low speed drops. Nothing short of crash bars will do any good for anything faster than 20 or so km/h.
    Even then, crash bars have been known to damage frames and not do a lot once bent from the initial impact and on some bikes, they even push back into the fairings and do damage anyway.
    I run oggy knobs on the Strom because I think crash bars are ugly and hamper servicing. I only want low speed protection, if I drop the bike at speed it's going to be a write off anyway, so I am really only protecting myself from sub insurance excess damage costs. Which is really all you need to do.
    On my bike, swingarm spool, frame slider and the rear footpeg and bar end will touch down well before plastic Make sure you lay your bike over with the "protection" on it to ensure it's covered. No point having it if it doesn't work.
  15. Hey Luke, I think it depends on what sort of damage you want to protect against. Road or track? Standing drop or low side etc. My oggy's did a great job when I busted my leg and another low speed drop. But I can easily see how they will root up the engine mounts at higher speeds (track) or cause the bike to flip and root up the front of the bike (screen / bars etc). I'm going race glass and engine / axle sliders for the track. Will keep the oggy's for the road if I ever decide to get back on it.
  16. Yeah Like you are really going to stay off.

Hope the leg is healing OK
  17. Id leave the oggys out since they transfer shock to the frame. no cut ones are even worse

bent frame = bye bye bike

youre better off buying a new set of fairings than replacing a whole frame!

just get some engine case sliders like these so after a down, oil doesnt spurt out everywhere
  18. A lot of track bikes these days seem to be adding some sort of carbon case guards. The smarter ones are carbon / kevlar mix and they are flexible enough and strong enough to provide a degree of impact protection and abrasion resistance. Race / track bikes might slide a lot further on their sides than road bikes. I've watched quite a few bikes go down at McPhillamy and slide all the way to Skyline... Some of them couldn't be ridden away for the sole reason that the cases had been worn through.
  19. If a bike hits that hard it bends the frame, you are going to do major damage to something when it hits.
    It's like saying cars shouldn't have bumper bars, because the impact from them damages the frame. The impact is still there and SOMETHING is going to take it whether it be an oggy knob or an engine case.
    Either way you're going to be getting it repaired on insurance (if you are actually smart enough to have it).