Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Study suggests that riding may be in our DNA

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by Womble, Sep 7, 2012.

1. From a different point of view, European and Eurasian people are largely descended from nomadic, horse-riding tribes from Central Asia. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
  2. Strangely I was never attracted to bikes as a young 'un and no bike culture in my family. Also tended to detest motorsport. Did like surfing and some other forms of mild thrill seeking.

Now I love bikes, can't imagine not riding. I'm also much less risk averse generally than I was when younger. Mid life crisis or early onset senility? You be the judge.
  3. I had a mild anti-bike thing going on when younger.....I think it was just a tease to my bike riding friends. It didn't last long though, bikes are just too cool.
  4. my DNA is damaged up pretty well i imagine
    cant you tell?
  5. Hrm... I dont think any of my grandparents ever rode. I certainly wanted bike from a young age tho, but neither i nor my dad started at a particularly young age.
  6. Both my father and grandfather owned bikes when they were young - but that's only because of the "too poor to afford a car" gene.

I strongly suspect this would be the same gene that is responsible for the vast majority of motorcycle sales worldwide. Wonder where I can get funding to conduct my own bullshit research? :-k
  7. I believe ACA or Today Tonight may have a monopoly in that area.
  8. Nope - not in our DNA - it's all about Cats!

Settle down mods.....this is not another Cat wearing a cardigan thread.

How many of you own a cat? I won't be surprised if quite a few do.
    Check this post from ages ago where it was discussed.
  9. I resent this assertion

Edit - oh wait, read the thread, parasites are fine.
  10. I'm reading "the greatest show on earth" by Richard Dawkins.
    Great resource for DNA/evolution info.
  11. I put out bowls of milk loaded with asprin
    Does that count
  12. my great uncle, or maybe great great, i dont really know for sure, used to race motorcycles back at the turn of the century i think, i once saw a photo or etching i guess, of him on his racing bike from back in the day. Pretty cool i think.

This was back in the leather hat for a helmet days.

Dad had a bike when i was young, ducati 749SS, he still owns it actually, he just let his mate borrow it for the last few years, was pretty epic, got to squid it up spit road through the bends on the pillion seat as a 10 year old, this was in pre speed camera days, so was pretty exciting.

Used to watch gp racing on the tv occasionally as a kid too, just when channel surfing and happened to come across it, i remember Australians doing quite well, so im guessing i was watching Doohan clean it up on his NSR.

but yeah that study is pretty light weight.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Maternal grandparents went to the IoM TT in 1927 for their honeymoon. Paternal grandfather had a succession of early Douglases (the first of which he rode into a petrol pump because he didn't know how to stop it), followed by a 990 cc Matchless Model X with and without (at various times) a double-adult sidecar built in the front bedroom and extracted via the window. Father learned and passed his test on said Matchless, progressing(?) to a ~1930 BSA OHV 250 and then a just pre-war Triumph 3T. Triumph histories claim that the 3T didn't exist pre-WW2. However, as Dad said, "It was a 350 Triumph twin and if it had been post-war I wouldn't have been able to afford it".

Anyway, that seems to be a reasonable biking pedigree. The paternal side was more a case of low-cost utility transport but the maternal grandfather and his mates were more concerned with catching up on the youthful antics that they missed out on by spending four years on the Western Front.
  14. Well my father rode a bit off road, my grand father rode as well and my other grandfather had a farm so he no doubt rode.

I also rode at a younger age and was scared at first, I rode a XR80 at 7 and I thought I was going so fast! 25 acres felt like the sahara desert!
  15. This could explain a few things. I've been lured to two wheeled transportation for most of my life, still remember my first motorcycle ride, I think I was about 6. I was surprised to find out my Apparantly conservative mother is a bit of a fan of motorcycles. Most of my cousins ride and my sister also rides, so there may be some merit in this.
  16. My little bubba (16 months old) points out every motorcycle he sees and says "Bike! Bike!" (and scooters unfortunately). I let him sit on the tank and play with all the switches on the bike (he loves it, and of course this is stationary and he isn't going to start it).

I'm just amazed that humans can ride bikes and operate cars. Seriously, millions of years of evolution where we just walk around looking for things on the ground, running away from scary things at 30km/h tops... haha it's amazing that our brains can actually control a machine travelling much faster than 100km/h, much better than even a purpose built computer could.

Speaking of that, has anybody ever made a robot motorcyle to go around a track? Like a normal sportsbike with a computer and actuators to operate the thing? I bet it would be difficult and no where near as good as a person riding.
  17. They're working on it:

Seems pretty crude, but keep in mind that it is designed to run on completely unknown terrain. Given suitable motivation I'm sure someone could come up with something capable of setting consistently good lap times around a known track (F1 cars were virtually driverless at one point until they banned most of the electronic aids).

Given what computers were like 20 years ago it's hard to imagine what might be possible in another 20. Machines certainly evolve a lot faster than humans.
  18. Same here. Avoided bikes for (too) many years, thinking they are too dangerous etc. Now enjoy it thoroughly and regret I didn't start riding years ago. I blame mid-life crisis. :)
    • Like Like x 1

19. Like I always say, if this is mid-life crisis long may it continue !