Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

:?: Stuck Throttle on a Scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by flashman2, Oct 15, 2005.

1. When I did my test (L) I answered the questions as per the book eg for a motorbike - but I ride a scooter - so no clutch and no cutoff that I know about!!!!

I joked with the guys that I'd just turn the key off! But what the hell is gona happen when/if the throttle gets stuck.

With no other way - is turning the key off going to f-up my bike?

I wanna know before I encounter this problem.

Any help or assistance welcome - ps its a TGB Voodoo 150cc Scooter.
  2. nope, shouldn't hurt at all.

although interesting :shock: , on clutched vehicle, you can rip the clutch in as you reach for the key/shut-off, even an auto car you can shift it into "neutral".

But a scooter that you just "twist and go"..... :eek:

I reckon the idea might be to brake hard to control speed, and reach for the key. You could get an ignition cut off fitted if you wished, not that hard to do.

3. My Bolwell Gypsy comes with a kill switch... rh side, just above the start button. Don't know about other brands.
  4. If you don't have a kill switch then turning off with the key is all you have. It shouldn't hurt the scooter at all. Your scooter is a clutched vehical. It's just that with a centrifugal clutch, you don't need to do anything. The clutch will know what to do.
  5. Not all scooters are auto :)

But regardless, it's always a good idea to keep you cables etc lubricated and check them for kinks, fraying etc on a regular basis.