Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stubborn Sump Plug - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I've only had my SR185 for a couple of months, and I'm trying to give it fresh oil for the first time (had relatively fresh oil when I got it, so I was told, though I suspect that the bad gear changing of late could be due to old oil). The trouble is, the sump plug, which is on the side of the block, won't budge. I figure some WD40 and a good half hour of 'worrying' it should get it loose, but my problem is that I don't know in which direction to turn it. Any guesses? Is there a typical direction for these things?

2. Anti-clockwise....

Be very careful - nothing worse than stripped sump plug threads....

3. Yep, anticlockwise..

And make sure you are using the right tool. Or you will damage the hex.
  4. I'd suggest just taking it for a spin on the Great Ocean Road.
    Did wonders for my sump plug. :roll:

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  5. Get a breaker bar on the end of your socket wrench.

Sometimes you can try 'cracking' the thread by turning it clockwise JUST untill you feel it move, then try undoing it. Helps in many cases.
  6. Left loosey, Righty tighty.
  7. Right hand rule.

Make a "Thumbs UP" with your right hand.

Turning in the direction of your fingers will move it in the direction of your thumb. I find this one easier when looking at upside down bolts etc....
  8. Yep, anti-clockwise. A bit od WD-40 wouldn't go astray if it's tight. Make sure you use a socket or ring spanner to spread the load evenly and apply force gradually. If you put the spanner on and give it a knock with a hammer, you'll risk breaking the top off the bolt. If you can't move it, get something with a longer handle to provide more leverage.

Once the jobs done, don't put it back in too tight or you'll have the same problem next time, and it increases the risk of stripping the thread. :wink: :wink: