Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strzelecki Track or Birdsville Track?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by harry216921, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

I'll be travelling up north soon and am wondering if anybody has done both the Strzelecki and Birdsville tracks - and which one they recommend travelling on (and why)?

2. Harry, firstly, what are you travelling in or on. Both tracks are in fair condition at present. I take it you are going to Birdsville ? both tracks will get you there, the Birdsville will be a better road as it see's more traffic, when I last spoke with some friends who live at Innaminka, they said the track north from there to B'ville was very chopped up at the sandy sections, with numerous vehicle recoveries being done for those who lack any real ground clearance.

Hope this helps.
  3. I've done both tracks in a 4wd back in October last year.
    As said above, the Birdsville is the better road by far, the Strez is much narrower and rockier in places. The Birdsville track is almost a full blown highway these days. In the right conditions, you could get your family car along it quite easily I should think. (We did actually come across a newish Camry coming the other way once!)
    The Strez goes through some really remote country out there with no fuel or supply stops and even less traffic. You must be self sufficient if travelling in those parts.
    The condition of each road is really very dependant on the weather conditions though.
    For extra interest you can choose to take the "inside track" just north of Mungerannie to Birdsville also. It is an alternative road that takes you further west will get you off the main road in a big way, but access to this track is highly weather dependant. 4wd or big bore bike only also.
    If I was in a rush I would just take the main Birdsville track up AND back.
    In any case it would be very wise to check with the local police at Maree or call the pub at Mungerannie about road conditions prior to departing.
  4. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be going with a group of about 5 - all with big bikes. I didn't even notice the "inside track" on my map - but that sounds like it could be a goer... I don't just want to be riding along on dirt highways.