Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Struggling with cone weave and u-turn

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by chickibabe, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Well guy's last week had a full week of riding and loved every bit of it. WE went up putty road across to bells line then up to springwood then back down to penrith the first day, then 2nd day went out to wisemans ferry then back up catti and back to windsor, I must say couldn't wipe the smile off my face, But then on 3rd day thought I'd go out an practise the cone weave and u-turn well I must say I sucked :cry: , I just could not do it. Couldn't get my revs right or the friction point everything went down hill. So was not happy with myself. I got to the stage were I thought I'm not cut out for this. :cry: .
    Guys am I just putting to much presure on myself? I'm hoping the more I practise the more I will improve. Hoping to do P's by October as we are going a the Careflight cruise to orange and don't want to be on L's for that.
    Any surrgestion would be great and yes I've been reading alot of post and have down loaded alot of reading. :LOL:.

2. Yes, many that have been riding for numerous years cannot do u-turns on a bike terribly well. It takes practice and good balance, and lots of commuting or twisties riding will not help that much with tight and slow u-turns.

Practice, practice :) Start wide, and then bring it in as you improve.
  3. How far west are you?

There is a course marked out at Homebush Bay by a kind Netrider. Let me know if you want to go along there and practice, I don't mind coming out and lending a hand...
  4. I was just practicing slow speed work at the local carpark today. I certainly know how you feel when you say you were just not happy with yourself. Sometimes when I feel I'm not making any progress I just want to give up. So my rule, when I practice anything and start to feel that despair, is to keep going until I do at least one thing right so that I can walk away feeling that I've accomplished something.

So yeah, the short answer is practice :)

Since I so happened to be doing u-turns today, here's what I learned:
    Before I start turning, I twist my head and body right around so I'm looking 180 degrees behind me, and focus on the point that I want the bike to end up at. Then I turn the handlebars and lean the bike over (and lean myself to the opposite side to balance), all the while looking at where I want to be.

Before I started doing this, in the same session, I was fumbling with throttle and clutch control when I made right-hand u-turns. With the handlebar against the fuel-tank, I didn't feel as though I had enough control on the throttle, and I was jerking through the turn.
    So I thought my problem was just throttle control.
    But, I don't know why, but as soon as I made a point of looking over my shoulder throughout the turn, that problem just disappeared, and I was turning tighter than ever.
    (The only possible explanation I can come up with is that if you're looking at the ground near the front tyre, you're can't "feel" where the bike should be, so you're worried about dropping it...
    But if you watch where you want to be, you can feel the trajectory the bike should be on, so you have a better idea of what accelleration you need to keep it on that trajectory.
    Maybe I'm talking shit here, it's just all I can come up with :) )

I know that's what everyone says, "look where you want to go", and of course I knew that before, but now I really feel it, myself. It made all the difference for me today :)
  5. dont give up mate just gotta practice and take advice nikku just wrote, if you lived in brisbane i would meet and help you out, but most importantly dont give up and cut yourself some slack! somethings take a bit more practice than others thats all :)
  6. for u turn practice, turn idle up a tad and only concentrate on steering, leaning and rear brake. don't touch the front brake or clutch. once you're cool with that 100% of the time. do it again with normal idle and use small stready throttle.

for cone weaving, you just gotta develop a rhythm. eye sight and body position is pretty important. tip the bike into the turn and as you exit, a small throttle blip will stand the bike up again, then tip in again on the other side and repeat.
  7. spot on, thats some sound advice. the technical term is target fixation.
    look where you want to be, its also good to learn for general cornering.
  8. Keep in mind that slow speed stuff is totally different from normal riding.

Though you can ride don't expect that you can do the slow stuff. That's what i found out. To remedy this i had to spend many a night in an empty car park.....quite satisfying once you get it and very confidence inspiring for the exams. Gluck!
  9. I'll just add that you shouldn't be putting that pressure on yourself by saying you have to do P's for the October ride. Who cares if you're on L's? I'll be probably going and I'll be on L's for sure.

I've posted similar question as you two weeks back (I've only been riding for 3 ;)) but mine was about roundabouts and tight turns - couldn't do them, i was all over the place. Now i'm much smoother - key is to acknowledge that you're not a wunderkind, so if you "suck" at something, do it and keep doing until you get it right. And you will.
  10. Initially, forget trying to do U turns and cone weaves. I would go to a nice flat carpark, and just practice doing circles in teh carpark.
    You'll start out doing big, lazy circles, but fairly quickly you'll get a feel for teh bike, and the turns will get tighter. Then you can practice slowing them down.
    Once you feel comfortable with that, start doing figure 8's. Again, they will start out big and lazy, but will eventually tighten up. The transition from one turn to another on figure 8's is great practice. Again once you are confortable, slow the figur 8's down.
    Once you have these two under control, you will find U turns and cone weave much easier.
    The reason I reckon practicing circles and figure 8's is the way to go is that you have no particular targets to fixate on, and you can just concentrate on turning teh bike, controling your speed, just getting a feel for teh bike without having to worry about hitting anything.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. The uturn is quite big in the test lol , just practise the coneweave
  12. I found that if I wasn't doing well, I'd just get more tense and make it harder for myself. All you're doing then is practicing how to do it badly. When it's like that I'd just take off for a bit and come back with a fresh mind. Being relaxed makes a huge difference.
  13. Yeah hard work, dedication, persistance and all that, just practice and practice.

Well there is another option you could take.. because personally I don't really see how the test prepares you for anything on the road. Rather the section of the day where you head out for a ride with the instructor is much more helpful. Anyway I recommend you hire one of there CB 250s, it is probably the best way to do. You should be able to piss it in.
  14. I played a lot of technical sport and the coaches had the attitude that if you practice a lot you become very good at whatever it is you are practicing. If its going well stick at it and develop the muscle memory etc. If it feels like c%^p go and have a beer and think about it.
  15. I also found the slow stuff quite difficult but then my LAMS bike is not a 250 and is not that nimble.

I did a "post Ls" course at Hart St Ives that covers the same stuff as the Ps (without the test), just to see how I'd go. Well, the cone weave and u-turn on my bike was difficult and I dropped it once at walking pace so they suggested I try one of their trail bikes just to see how I'd go.
    The trail bike was so easy to ride it was unbelievable !

So for my P's I hired the trail bike and although I managed to bust the first bike during practice (locked up the rear wheel on the practice for the emergency stop in the rain), and did a crap emergency stop in the test itself (as I didn't want to lock it up again), I still passed.
    The cone weave and u-turn were dead easy though, and didn't lose any other points at all.

The practice for the Ps test at Hart also starts off with the cones etc setup more with more difficulty (smaller gaps etc) so when you actually do the test it seems even easier.

Plenty of practice and you'll be right O:)

Hope this helps.
  16. Are you familiar with the Regatta Centre at Penrith?? I read on here that there is the U-Turns marked out there, so maybe try and see how you go - you may be putting too much pressure on yourself compared to what you actually have to do on the test.

Plenty of good info above as well. Figures eights are the best to learn and all you need is a bit of space and start large and just go smaller and smaller.

Good luck with it all.
  17. For U-turns, as has been said...You need to remain at least upright, or perhaps counter-leaning a little while allowing the bike to lean through the turn.

However, rather than trying to control your speed through throttle control, whcih can be a little "snatchy" at these lower revs, maintain a constant throttle, and use the rear brake to control your speed.

This will allow you much more stability.

18. Thanks guy's for all the advise. I've thought about this long a hard and I really think I was putting to much presure on myself and I think hubby might have been to I will for sure be getting out there to practise alot more. Our street is normal quite through the day so I've been practising in our street, As I can not find a decent car park around us, my neighbours must think I'm mad :LOL:

Thanks for the offer, I've sent you a pm

I did my L's out at the regatta centre, but the instructors said the centre will kick you out of there as quick as can be, because of insurance reasons.
    BUt I might slip out there just make sure that I've got my measurement right for everything. As that is were I will be doing Ps Thanks

when I get out there again I will try the moving bum on my seat thing I was sitting straight up in middle (not moving) if you get me. And I'll turn the idle up.

Thanks again for all the advise guys, I've taken it on board and I'll see how I go and let you know.

Cheers :grin:
  19. Thats nice and all that but as you know i am a firm beleiver in being able to do it on your own bike.

If it were up to me you would have to pass the road and skills tests on your own bike, unless you plan on hiring a cb250 everytime you go for a ride.

But then i've never needed to make a 6.1 meter u-turn since the test.
  20. I agree with one of the earlier posts - figure 8s are a great way of learning balance, throttle control, and tight turns and slow speed riding.

For U-turns, the best technique I have found on small bikes and big is to start-off at a constant speed and use BACK brake only to control your speed. To get a tight turn look around as far as you can so you can see the point you want to get to. And as you are looking around with eyes where you want to be, lean in the opposite direction of the turn. This lets you keep the bike as upright as you need in the turn and you should be able to get to full lock and turn in the tightest circle.

For weaving I have found it best to set up a rhythm if the cones are equidistant. So as you swerve left, weight is leaning left, straighten up with a bit of throttle, other direction.

But the figure 8s let you practice all this.........