Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strong wind weather

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Oldmaid, Dec 16, 2014.

1. So took the girl for a burl today, absolutely glorious ride over to Randwick from the Hills..catching a few rays on the way...get to the hospital... watch the wind start to move the big trees.
    Okaaay, so it does get quite blustery over this way but holy dooley it was really blowing fierce.
    On Anzac Pde I kid you not one gust lifted the bike sideways...felt like about a foot!

I gripped that bike with my knees and butt and whistled but whilst exhilarating there were a few ah shit moments as well...gusting wind was amazingly strong.

Should you counter steer into the wind direction, slow down, speed up, pray? I was worried I would either get blown into car in next lane or actually off the bike...seriously.

Tips as the leper said to the prostitute;)

Loving ya work as always darlinks!
  2. change riding style base on wind. when gusty lean in and counter steer. when it ease up go back to normal. buffer more stick to left of lane or centre.
  3. Relax and go with it, riding in the wind is wicked fun. If you're uncomfortable with the wind, build up to it. Avoid the gale force gusts until you're more comfortable with it. Wait until you have to lean in the opposite direction to go around a bend or corner! :)
  4. I love riding in strong winds. But watch out for falling limbs.
    With strong side winds: ride with you left hand off the handle bars. This is what I do and I ride the two extremes in motorcycles. A 340kg Goldwing or a 130kg 250rs Honda. Works for both bikes.
  5. Lighter bikes are more affected by wind than heavier ones. Nekkids less so than bikes with larger windscreens, racks, panniers. Increasing speed can "stiffen up" the bike by increasing the stabilising effect of your rotating wheels. Give yourself some extra room in crosswinds, particularly blowing from your right. The buffeting you get from a passing truck on a two lane road isn't nice and you will move around quite a lot if the road is wet. Don't panic and do anything dumb - just keep it smooth. Riding in wind can be fun, but it is tiring if one is travelling.
  6. Beware of debris - with high wind normally comes much more debris (especially out in rural areas / around trees, etc).

Don't try and fight the wind, but to go with it (within reason). ie - don't try and stay in the one wheel track - but feel free to use your lane - allow the wind to push you around a little and don't be rigid. Like Lalaj said - it can be quite fun. Ride more conservative (give yourself more room if you do need to take action - so if you're standard is riding to 80% of your capability, maybe drop it back to 60%).

Be aware of things that will change / block the wind too. (Passing under a bridge - by a truck, etc). Going past something like this that stops the wind is almost like being hit by the same level of gusts from zero. (Just the opposite way around).
  7. What exactly does this do?
  8. Thanks kiddies!
    I did enjoy it but was a little freaked when the bike 'seemed' to actually move across the lane like something out of poltergeist!

Travelling west out of the LCT on the M2 is like riding into the buttend of an A380 taking off...scared the bejesus out of me the first time I rode into it (out if the tunnel) my head felt like it was going to get ripped off and was worried my legs were going to get peeled back behind my ears and not in a nice way!

LalaJLalaJ trouble is the wind picks up where I work but not predictably I get to watch the planes getting buffeted around so it sure gets lively over that way...have to get my girl home so i just have to wing it so to speak...
  9. Everyone's riding instructors are different and give different advice... The pearl of wisdom mine gave me was, 'Ride like everyone is out to kill you'. I think that includes mother nature. :)

Truly though, relax and go with. As others have said, debris can be a problem and it can come from any angle. Keep your eyes open, ride within your comfort level, don't be concerned about stopping if you need to chill out for a few minutes, there's no shame in that. Slow down in the wind if you feel you need to. Everyone will read the wind a little differently and adjust their style with it, you will develop your own style as well.
  10. Problems with wind... Who woulda thunk it:p

Yes I think my motto is ride it like you stole it...
  11. Riding with your right hand helps with the balance when the wind is buffing from the side. Like when you are riding a rodeo. It gives you better balance. With the cruse control on the Goldwing, I can ride with just my left hand to give my right hand a rest.
  12. Wind problems? These will make your farts smell like mint, allegedly.

Attached Files:

13. Allegedly butt sniffing LalaJLalaJ ? Noice.
  14. I found the bike does all the work in the wind, ie. if the wind hits you from the left, it leans into the wind.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. So i have cruise control after all...
  16. OldmaidOldmaid, it's not a glamorous job, but someone has to do it.

Attached Files:

17. Goodness lost and found ?
  18. Since reading about it here, I've used the Dutch 'flappering knee' technique with great success in Sydney's recent winds. Google will find you details.
  19. If it's lost, it's almost guaranteed that the dog will find it. You just may not want it back once the dog has finished processing it.
  20. Nice!

A flappering knee
    When you do this for the first time during a storm, you will be surprised about the effect:
    If you stick out the knee at the side where the wind comes from, and you relax your muscles in your leg, and let your knee flapper about, your motorcycle will ride a perfect straight line.

The effect is simply baffling, especially when you were used to pull every muscle during heavy storms, to keep your motorcycle on the road, because you were certain that the wind would blow it aside.

But how is that possible?
    You can imagine that your flappering leg will function as a sail, when the wind blows from an angle with your bike.

If the wind comes from the left, that means that the left side of the bike will try to decelerate. In the mean time, the wind blows the bike to the right, and both forces together compensate: as a result, the bike will lean in to the left, exactly as much as is needed to ride in a straight line.