Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stripped thread drain bolt

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by mr_messy, Aug 19, 2007.

1. The threads on drain plug or oil pan, I fear, has been stripped.
    Hopefully it's just the plug.

I tried tightening it because it was leaking a bit of oil, only it wont tighten.
    This has to get up to Sydney from Melbourne.
    What can I do?

What would be easier replacing the oil pan or re-threading it somehow?
    This sux!

2. Helicoil

3. :WStupid:

The sump thread has been stripped, *over tightening will do this every time*

Take plug down to Repco or whoever and get a Helicoil kit to match, then drill / retap / insert helicoil, refit plug with NEW washer and she'll be apples.

Just follow the instructions on the helicoil pack and you can go wrong

The kits aren't cheep so don't expect much change from $80.00

4. Alternately, you can drill and tap if you can source (I.e. beg, borrow or steal) a drill bit and tap for a slightly larger bolt, then go oversize (plus drill and tap for a magnetic pick-up)

or, call your local car garage, helicoil kits are expensive, but for one-off jobs, I paid $10 to get a $0.02c piece of helicoil inserted in a cylinder head on the old car, (and my local guy even dropped by on his way home from the shop, as it happened in my driveway).

Every good garage should have somthing like that in stock, and when you don't plan to strip threads, makes economical sense.

5. If you've cracked the hole instead of stripping it, you can remove the sump pan and have it welded up, drilled, and re-threaded.

6. Might end up having to replace it then.
    Will check out how much they cost at the wreckers.
    Don't want to make the same mistake as I did with the alternator cover.
    I'd assume retapping the hole would be a little more difficult for a DIY cos the hole is beneath the bike and I have no lift for it.

7. That's why you can unbolt the sump pan and put it on your bench to work on it.

8. Hmm...
    More fresh oil going to be wasted.
    This sux!

I might call someone to do it.
    Can anyone recomend a place? I'm in Doncaster.
    I've usually taken the bike for major stuff to Ray Quincey. They normally take longer than I'd like but do what I ask,well. Just don't want the bolt to come out as I ride there.

9. if its secure, get under there with the degreaser, clean, dry the bolt and sump, then whack a bit of cloth tape across it and the sump if you are extremely concerned, it's not going to fall out that way

10. going through the www

Is this what I need?

tapset.

Is it easy to stuff up?
    Sorry if there are alot of the same questions. But it's something I do before giving it a shot instead of taking it to mechanic.

11. What a crap picture, look at the poor colour correction - too much yellow :-(

Why not drain the oil into a clean jug, and remove the pan.
    Get the thread either repaired (helicoil) or welded/re threaded and refit and pour the oil back in.
    You could also try cleaning up the thread first by using a tap of the correct size.

12. Mick Hone in Box Hill might be worth a try

13. Oh yeah, forgot I took it to a red and white place on olive rd
    in ringwood.
    They used a helicoil kit for it.
    Cost me $90
    But it still leaks a bit, maybe three drops during the night.

14. Did they do it up properly? Sump bolts occasionally need re-torquing

15. I should call them.
    Worried I might strip them if I do it myself again.
    Leak happens when engine is hot.
    When it's cold it doesn't.

16. i would say you need to replace the sump plug washer, as it would have been flattened and rooted when it was over tightened

17. Just had rick at Metro Honda sort me out with a Helicoil (I stripped the Coolant drain bolt) cost be $18 in the end, and took no time! The sump bolt shouldn't be much harder.
    Oh, I did take the single part down for him to fix, so it was easier and quicker for them :)