Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stripped sparkplug thread GPX 250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Cell9765, Dec 30, 2005.

1. G'day,

Having trouble with my '94 GPX250, just been serviced and discovered the last person to install one of the sparkpugs has overtightened it and stripped the thread. Unfortunately it is too stripped to re-tap and be on my merry way.

Was thinking of putting in a helicoil (mosy likely option it think) but am reluctant about removing the head as this breaks all the seals the engine has bulit up over the course of its use.

Any words of wisdom? alternatives to a helicoil- ways to dothe job without removing the head? Have always been keen on bikes but am getting into it just now- this bike only has to see me through my provisionals then it has done its job.

many thanks
    Camo :)

2. eeeep! :shock:

i have nfi, that sounds like a bit of a nasty situation :? some SERIOUS overtightening too, thats a lot of thread to strip....

3. what area are you in mate??

4. sydney inner west, got a quote from a mechanic to do it but am a bit down on the $400 right now, am leaving the country in 1 week until end of jan so may have to wait until then to fix it.

5. If you had of been in melb, i was going to point you in the right direction. Personally try the helecoil, what do you have to lose. Good luck with it..

6. thanks anyway, much obliged.