Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Streetfighters, where did they come from?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by tim650, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Ok, i know what a Streetfighter is, but did any manufacturer bring any out or are they custom modifications people do to their bike.

E.g. Someone has a damaged Yammy R6/R1 and instead of paying thousands to repair fairing damage they put sick looking alien lights on the front, no side fairings, etc. You see people advertising they have a R1 streetfighter. Is this why?

What other mods make a streetfighter? Are they essentially what stunt people turn their bikes into.

I was considering looking for a fairing damaged superbike and do this. I also think they dont grab as much attention as a fluoro coloured fully faired bike and thats a good thing sometimes.

Feel free to comment ur thoughts :)
  2. The planet Zoron. They were originally built by a race of beings called Nurfs.

Nurfs were a slave race and some escaped to Wales. From there they spread across Britain, where they started modifying motorcycles to resemble the vehicles they were forced to build on their home planet.
  3. i think they originally came from the original nintndo entertainment system.

but everyone knows Super Street Fighter II on the SNES was the best
  4. Streetfighter = man bike.

They evolved from pure testosterone.
  5. 'Historically' I guess streetfighters have been a form of custom bike where function is emphasized over form. Weight reduction, more power, modifications for handling, more weight reduction... Anything not needed is removed.

(Edit: What Loz said! :LOL: )

The term seems to be diluted these days to mean "custom streetbike", tho'... I see the term "streetfighter" used to describe heavy fully-faired Hayabusas with superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous bottles, drag-bike swingarms, DVD players built into the mirrors and more heavy chrome parts than a Harley. Huh.

Triumph's Speed Triple (and street triple) is an obvious candidate for a manufacturer-built "streetfighter" - There's a 1 litre, 130+hp engine, a tiny seat subframe, minimal bodywork, a pair of tiny headlights bolted to the front, and very little else.
  6. historically they were crashed sportbikes.... theyre evolving into a custome scene with people spending tonnes of money one them....however they are pretty much still crashed sportbikes.

some love em, some dont. i do. but its all a personal style thing. some look awesome some are just shite
  7. They're the modern evolution of the original chopper, surely. Post-war bikers used to take their big, fat american cruisers and remove everything that wasn't there for a purpose, resulting in lighter, faster and better handling equipment.

Then of course the fancy nancies took over and turned them into ridiculous handbag-swinging arse-jewellery that are useless for any practical purpose.

Modern streetfighters take the racetrack-focused top bikes from the major manufacturers and refocus them for the road. People want the go, stop, and handling power of the big bikes but they're not interested in the stuff that's not relevant to them. You don't need fairings for road riding, all they do is take away the sensation of speed, add weight to the bike, haemorrhage thousands of bucks in the smallest crash and make it harder to maintain for the hairy-chested among us who work on their own bikes.

Conversely, you can't buy a bike with the performance of a fireblade and none of that racetrack shit added. The closest you'll get is a Tuono or Superduke, which cost well more than the superbikes and frankly can't outperform them. So you modify, you get a cheap superbike, often one that somebody has crashed, and strip it back to a hugely powerful motor, a seat, tank, two wheels and your top shelf suspension and brakes package. You stick on the smallest working mirrors, indicators, gauges and headlights you can get away with and you hit the road, usually with one wheel flapping in the air.

Huge power, light weight, excellent chassis and no extraneous bullshit is what many of us would consider the essence of motorcycling.

Of course, since streetfighters look so damn masculine, with their beefy engines swinging free in the wind, there's people out there spending tens of thousands of dollars tarting them up with all sorts of largely useless bling. I'm all for anything that enhances and celebrates the bare-bones mechanics - like clear clutch covers and the like - but I think a lot of them look silly with their little gargoyle faces, massive unsteerable fat rear tyres and single sided swingarm conversions that generally negatively effect the handling in pursuit of a look.

I dig the bare-bones budget fighters, some of those can really show off the owner's engineering skill and creativity.
  8. Dammit, i thought i was going to be funny. You beat me to it.
  9. +1 loz...some people put way too much money into making it pretty. $4 grand paint jobs and the like.

practical. crazy powerfull and fun streetbikes is what its all about to me.
  10. Why's that, apart from looking scary and thinking the wheel would fall off. Has it got to do with the fact that the one side has everything, Chain sprocket and brake rotor intergrated into one..

I like the look of a single sided swing arm, but depends on rest of the bike's aesthetics. Ducati's pull it off nicely.

I love Streetfighters, and that link has heaps. Very minimal, less is more. Also good if you drop the bike not much damage to it.
  11. There's nothing wrong with single sided swingers on bikes that are designed to have them.

The main issue for me is that the standard frame or the swingarm itself generally has to be hacked or spaced out in some way in order to make it fit. And then you're dealing with the possibility that it's not lined up perfectly, or that the new different wheelbase and swingarm pivot points and shock mounts might either directly cause it to handle worse or indirectly cause something like the shock to work less effectively because it's sitting at a different angle from stock.

Bike handling geometry is very complex - top level racers can tell by test riding if the front sprocket's an inch too high, the forks half a degree too steep or the swingarm an inch too short. Most sportsbikes handle very well out of the box, due to exceptionally accurate design and engineering - I wonder how many single-sided swinger conversions handle as well or better than the originals?

It's a priority thing. Handling's a lot more important to me than looks.
  12. Just 'cos I'm bored and have to hang on at work until the Mrs is ready to be picked up, here's what a keyword search for 'streetfighter' will bring up on Bikesales today:

CB1300 - a naked, not a streetfighter at all.

TL1000R - kinda cool-looking, but I bet it rides like crap. And it's 20 grand. Save it for the show.

R1 - this is more the business.

Gixxer11 - kinda rough condition, but what a beast of a thing for two and a half grand!

'Nother R1 - a bit newer, and also very nice. Comparison shop unstreetfightered R1s of similar vintage and kms.

CBR600F - looks pretty nice, and the F is a tad less sporty in seating position and such if that's what you're looking for.

Gixxer750 - older, but it looks pretty nice. (Slap upside the head for reference in the ad to a 'duct tail'.)
  13. I'm definitely with Loz on the primacy of function over fanciness in these things: cut away what's extraneous and don't replace it, only add what enhances performance.
  14. For mine the 1999 R1 (the first one linked above) is the pick of that bunch.
  15. Ohh for sure, they are a bling thing, but if i was to ride the bike i'd want everything to function perfectly and not crab walk if its not perfectly inline :LOL:

Some pretty kool 'streetfighter' bikes for sale too.
  16. no fairings and expensive accessories do not make a streetfighter

for me, a streetfighter has to have something custom or unique that sets it apart from all others. the owner's love, sweat and grazed knuckles should be obvious. similar to a ratrod in philosophy.
  17. Once upon a time, a stylish, enlightened few in the riding population woke up, opened the classifieds, and realized that every second hand sportsbike they could afford was so so distastefully painted, so horrifyingly uglified by the manufacturers, for reasons unknown, that the only thing for it was to rip all that shit off and end up with something that at least looked respectfully utilitarian.

Visionaries, to a man.