Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Street Triple - Overpriced Insurance

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by turnipcorp, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Hi

I just got a quote on Comprehensive insurance through Western QBE on a new Street Triple.

I currently own a sv650 and paid app $600 for comprehensive, i changed no details other than the bike on the quote

They quoted me $1380!!!

For the Speed Triple they quoted me $900..for a more powerfull bike!!

The girl on the phone was unable to see why it was so expensive considering the price of the speed triple

Has any one had experience with insuring a newly released bike...do they over quote it as they are unsure of how to price it?

I really would like to buy the street triple but with insurance soooo expensive i dont think i can.

Any other experiences with newly released bikes and over priced insurance?

2. Think about it..

Its rarer, so replacing it is harder. Parts are harder to come by and generally more expensive to get. And theres the obvious 'it costs more' thing, and the more power factor.
  3. Also - get some perspective. I've been quoted up to 8 grand for a zx10r.

Ring some other insurances and see if you can get a better price.
  4. I have thought of that...but the Street Triple...isn't that much more powerfull than my current 650.....it only costs 13K..so it isn't that expensive... Also Triumph's are not expensive to run as say a Ducati...so while i understand those factors...thi price difference is way out of whack.
  5. Street Triple more expensive to insure than the Speed Triple?? Yeah, that really doesn't sound right.
  6. Street tripple is brand new model yes? There are very very few of them at the moment yes? Do you see where I'm going with this?
  7. Fair enough....good point

Suppose that means i could expect insurance cost to go down over time as they become easier to get

thanks for the input