Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Street Triple - Immobiliser

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Julien, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Hi guys

Does anyone know whether the Street triple comes with a factory fitted immobiliser or any security device?

If not I am thinking of getting one fitted. How much does it cost? Is it worth it to save on insurance?

2. They have an immobilizer as an accessory for $600-$700. No idea if it helps with premium costs...
  3. Get an Ignitor alarm , cheap got mine for $180, easy to fit, seriously loud, stops idiots touching the bike, stops the neighbours cat sitting on it! Get 5% off my insurance. No alarm keypad thingys to breakdown and leave you stranded.

IMO if someone is going to steal the bike, then they'll be there with a van and an immobilizer/disc lock won't help. And that's why you have comp insurance. Being such a light bike doesn't help either.

What you want is to deter people knocking the bike and pissing off, so make as much racket as possible.

Mate of mine has even wired it up so that the alarm led on the clock flashes.
  4. The Ignitor is ok...

but here are a couple of reasons I would not use one...

• No immobiliser...a screwdriver jammed in the keybarrel works wonders as a key and breaking a steering lock is a piece of piss...why make it easy on them by having no immoblisier circuit... Immobilisers themsleves failing is not very common at all...dodgy installation techniques is another story
    • Disarm by turning the ignition on and off twice...LOL you may as well not have an alarm...again screwdriver in Keybarrel turn ignition on and off a couple of times and not only is there no immobiliser but the alarm disarms...I guess I won't be needing that van to take the bike away after all...I'll take a seperate rolling code remote every time thanks. And if you think thieves are not switched on enough to know what brand alarms make what noises you would be mistaken, for this one of the reasons car alarm manufacturers have selectable siren tones.
    • No back up battery for the siren...disconnect battery no alarm and no siren...sure it means current draw is low but if you ride your bike sporadically you really should have a trickle charger anyway so a battery back up siren discharging the bikes battery over time is not so much of an issue.
    I guess you get what you pay, the Ignitor fills a spot in the market but in my opinion a bike alarm should have

1. An immobiliser
    2. Rolling code remote controls
    3. Pinswitch protection so the alarm triggers if seat or removable panels are removed
    4. A tilt/motion/shock sensor maybe dual zone microwave(but can be a bugger to set up correctly)
    5. Indicator confirmation of arm/disarm and alarm trigger
    6. Flashing LED with event status(tells you what zone triggered alarm)
    7. Back up battery siren
    8. Current sensing
    Of course none of this will do you any good without professional installation, the idea with security is to make it that much of a pain in the arse that they steal somebody elses stuff rather than bother trying to steal yours...the more layers of security you have the better, however no alarm system is a substitute for comprehensive insurance.
  5. Most annoying thing about the vibration/tilt sensors is that they often go off because you parked at a funny angle or sometimes just for shits and giggles.

Usually when you've just stepped outside the remote range, so you have to walk some distance back to the bike while everyone stares at you.

Likewise, it's possible to sit on some bikes with a vibration/tilt sensor without setting it off, but if a fly breathes on the luggage rack (connected to the subframe, which the alarm is bolted to) then all hell breaks loose. :p
  6. Thanks for your posts guys. Very helpful.

I am not really scared of having my bike stolen. I know that if someone really wants to steal my bike, it's just going to happen. It is all about assessing the risk and living with it. To cover myself againts that risk I have comprehensive insurance. I am happy to rely on that.

My main reason for installing an immobiliser (or other security device) would be to get a discount on my insurance premium. Considering the high cost of having an immobiliser fitted, I would go ahead only if the discount I get on my insurance premium outweighs the cost of installing a security device.

Is my reasoning silly?
  7. Ring your insurance and see what the discount will be, I doubt it will cover the cost of the alarm - maybe over a few years. I'm with insuremyride and they give 5% off premium.
  8. Personally, I think it's more than just discounts on your premium. Insurance covers the bike but alarm/immobiliser reduces the chance of you having to go through the pain of reporting the theft, making the insurance claim, travelling with an alternate transportation and the wait for insurance payout.
  9. hypothetically, what is there to stop you telling an insurace company you use a ignotor if you really dont?

If your bike gets stolen, they'll never know?
  10. I had to fax a copy of my alarm install recipt to my insurance company.