Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Street Triple battery/power issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mego, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to provide me some advice.

My 08 Street Triple wouldn't start a few days ago (engine wouldnt turn over, just made clicking sound) so I bought a battery charger and left it overnight to charge. Next time I took the bike for a ride, I made it about 4 blocks, and the engine shut off as I turned a corner. The fuel and electrical malfunction light also flickered on and off for a few moments. Figuring I hadn't charged the battery long enough (it's only 1 year old) I removed it, and repeated the process.

Same thing happened again today. Made it to the local shopping centre and lost power just before parking, and again the fuel light and other lights flickered on and off - it seems like the battery isn't charging while I'm riding. I jump started it from a car battery, and once again - made it about 3 blocks.

I'm wondering if I should buy a new battery and try that (if the battery is completely dead?), or arrange transport to a mechanic if these are symptoms of another problem (regulator or something else?).

Appreciate any advice!
  2. most likely rectifier/regulater very common on 675s toobad your warrantys up but try for it anyway
  3. thanks mate, that's what i was thinking. Have arranged transport to mechanic tomorrow.