Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Street Racer avoids Jail

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Just saw this in the paper.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24912625-952,00.html

I recall someone on this post who had been caught "excessively speeding" on his bike and got 6 months jail. This guy looks like a repeat offender and gets no jail. I'm not commenting on weather he should be jailed or not, but you've got to agree that there is just no consistency in the law! The previous Bike guy was a one off blat down the road, this guy seems to have a speed addiction!

Think I might record his lawyers main for future reference, just in case!

2. Yeah I really dont get it. You would think that if judges want to make examples of people (like they did with the bloke you mentioned), then this bloke would be a prime example of someone to throw the book at!

3. if I recall, Ghost rider was a man from the Gold Coast
    wonder if its the same bloke?

4. What the hell are you going on about?

I thought he was from melbourne! :LOL:

5. My head hurts >.<

but back on topic, there is far too much discretion in terms of sentencing when it gets to court.
    I am a firm believer in police discretion 'on the spot' in relation to fines etc, but in these cases - it needs to be by the book.

6. Removing discretion from courts is not a good idea. I sort of agree with the argument that similar offences should attract similar penalties but a judge needs the ability to add the human touch after all that's why they are there.

You can't dispute that a person doing 120k in a 100 zone when carrying an injured person to hospital is a different case than a person doing 120k through heavy traffic in a 100k zone just because they feel like it :) even though the law that is broken is the same in each case.

7. touche :)
    very good point

8. Mandatory sentencing is so very, very dangerous.

When you allow politicians to determine the outcomes of judiciary decisions, you compromise what little form of piss-weak justice we have in this country, and turn making examples of people into political point scoring.

I personally believe no-one should go to gaol for traffic infringements that do not cause physical or financial harm to any other person or corporation; but many don't agree with me.
    To that end, I'm mostly happy a judge still has the final say when reviewing a case and all it's circumstances rather than some f***wit politician trying to distract us from how shithouse our public transport is.

9. I agree with you. What if is a dangerous tool to use for sentencing.

and yes it's been covered in fiction thank you minority report!

:LOL:

10. That seems to have made the papers earlier than anticipated...