Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

street - fightering a szr660

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by danielc118, Mar 5, 2006.

1. hi all, i crashed my szr660 minorly a few days ago, and the front fender bracket, headlight unit and front fairings are all fubar. i and the mechanic managed to twist bend and correct the bracket into semi-normal positions, and the left fairing is saveable, but the right one is trashed. so anyway, i was just looking to see what the approximate cost of street-fightering my bike would be , to see if its a viable option. just very approximate for now, ie. 500, 1000, 10000 etc :p if its in my price bracket i will explore it further. thanks guys!

2. It all depends how far you are willing to go!
    One of the first problems you'll encounter when getting rid of the fairings is that the thermostat and coolant reservoir are located outside of the frame. You'll need to find a place to hide them if you want to make it look neat and tidy. Then you'll need to decide whether you want to go for the naked look or for a small headlight fairing job at the front (like many streetfighters have, Z1000 for example). Sourcing a headlight can be tricky, it took me months to find a second hand Ducati Monster headlight and it cost me $250! The next problem with this headlight set-up was figuring out how to mount the clocks and in what form. (It is quite a big set of clocks and from memory they mount onto the front fairing bracket)
    Going with a small headlight/fairing unit might be easier and less expensive but you will encounter problems with that as well no doubt. Compatibility issues will spring up everywhere along your little undertaking.
    Another issue is whether or not you decide to keep the stock subframe/seat unit as is. Personally i hated it and couldn't wait to get ride of it! It's too low and is as ugly as sin. I had a replacement made by Paul Bushell Engineering in Brisbane and he did a fine job. It was light and very sexy!! But figuring out where all of the bits would go that lived inside the previous one was another headache. It took a while for me to get it sorted and i wish i had an undertray made up to go with the subframe. Would have been easier if i had planned it better in the first place.
    Then a new exhaust bracket is in order because the stock one is as heavy as lead and butt ugly to boot.
    This has been just a quick run through of what i had to do with mine, i did do more as well but this was due to personal taste rahter than required mods.
    Also if you are going to keep the bars as stock then i think you can't really call it a streetfighter. I have always liked the café racers of the past so that's what i was aiming for, a modern version albeit.
    In swapping all of these stock parts and pieces, my bike lost an incredible amount of weight! As you take stuff off, take a little time to see how frigging heavy most of it is!! I swear most of the bits added by Belgarda were made of steel. :? The subframe and exhaust are the two worst offenders, both weigh ALOT.
    Good luck though if you still want to go through with it. :grin:

3. Hi. Ive fightered my szr and I'm really stuck on this part.
    How did you do it?

Thanks mate.

4. Bad luck on the stack, but good excuse for a street fighter, I would say no mater what you should go for it.

5. what exactly is 'street-fightering' your bike????

anyone got before and after pics?

6. Street-figthering your bike is for those who think that 150kg for a bike is to heavy.

In other words they strip it down, loose any weight where they can (even if it means drilling holes just to reduce it by a couple of grams).

There are some people who do a simple and tidy job, but then there are others who only use enough screws to make sure the bike won't fall apart.

Does that clear things up a little?

EDIT: Oh yeah they quite often the weight reduction is accompanied by a power increase in any way possible.

7. yeah thats what i thought...

also i always though that manufacturers in a way, styled the bikes with aerodynamics etc in mind!

8. First step is to find a smaller thermostat, almost any will do, i think mine was from an FZR250. Then you need to find some space on top of the engine and under the tank to attach it to. Off memory i think the left hand side had some room.... (New pipes are a must as well btw)
    The coolant bottle is a bit more tricky because it's so big, i recall mine fitting somewhere under the tank as well, can't quite remember.
    Just wish i had taken more pics at the time! :oops:

9. not quite - yes some are that excessive but not all
    here's how wikipedia describes a streetrighter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(motorcycle)