Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strap-ons...inside or outside?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by mattb, Oct 30, 2009.

1. I want to get some strap-on knee armour and I'd much prefer to wear it on the outside over my jeans, for easy removal and installation in the summer heat. I've never had a spill so my knowledge is a little too hypothetical - from those who have, are they likely just to slip sideways and do nothing in such a case, as compared to a set underneath the jeans?

Matt

2. Inside. I Dont like the chances of velcro staying on in a slide, but as you say, thats hypothetical.

3. 1) It'd kinda look silly on the outside
    2) With it outside, as gsxxer says, the velcro might break off which would make having the pads in the first place obsolete.

A couple of people say they've worn their knee pads on for extended periods of time without feeling too constricted wandering around.

4. wow netrider, very poor ****ing form. I saw the title and expected comedy gold. all i saw was 2 serious answers, which were only made funny by my own sick interpretation. Its a very grim day in Netrider history.

5. On the outside of you, on the inside of your chosen 'partner'.

6. Yes, was expecting more from the title of thread, till I read it....

But at least it's in the appropriate thread, "riding gear" :rofl:

7. +1 one on the serious replies! :p

everyone i know who has used them, has had them under :)

8. I 'spose it's all a bit hypothetical. If you required the armour at the start of your slide (eg: high side and then landed on your knees), then I doubt it would matter much. If however, you went for a slide and then needed the armour (eg: slide along the road and into a solid object knees first), I suspect inside would be better lest the straps be abraded away.

For what it's worth, a family friend has only one kneecap due to scenario number two.

9. My thoughts exactly - fine for the initial hit - the car panel, the high-side landing, not thereafter. I'm more concerned about the first scenario, but as you've pointed out, Roh, that's only half the crash! When a guy binned it fast (after almost taking me out) last summer, the (low)slide did little, despite the fact he has wearing cotton jeans, but he hit a four by four inch wooden support for the armco, square on his back! His back pack was chockers and the support eaten by ants (which covered him), so he appeared to get off fine despite being carted away, but it made me a lot more aware of hard roadside perils.

10. I actually have a pair of these knee guards, and I expected to wear them on the outside. I reasoned that they are primarily there to distribute the loading of a localised impact and to an extent they would have done their job after the first hit (your witness account refutes that!). I have cordura, kevlar or leather to take care of abrasion.

Turns out I bought some wide leg enduro overpants and usually wear them underneath. I really doubt I could get mine under ordinary street pants.
    FWIW, the velcro attachments seem really strong and I might be prepared to risk wearing them outside for my short, low speed commute.

11. inside.
    most of these things are mx gear, designed to disperse impact...and that's all they do...they're not for sliding down a hot strip of tarmac...they'd just melt right into your flesh...shit even leather gets so hot it burns you in a slide...theres a few brands that have models that incorporate kevlar for abrasion resistance, but most are just impact resistant polymers and foam...my thoughts are to wear them under abrasion resistant clothing.

12. I think on the inside makes more sense. Unless they're extremely tight fitting (Not a good look anyway, well, in my case at least) clothing can move in a spill.

I've thought about some armour as well, underneath the dragon jeans. I had look at their armour "system" the other day and it's just plain weak.

13. Well mitigating half the risk is better than none at all I suppose. I'm a bit blasé about the whole issue. No kind of armour would fit under my jeans (avert your eyes QW, for I wear skinny jeans!), and frankly the inconvenience (and sheer dork factor) of having it on the outside is enough to turn me off the idea from the outset.

14. Depends what your legs are like Roh.

15. Inside. Then outside. Then inside again. And outside. Inside. Outside, and so on and so forth until a satisfactory conlusion is reached for all involved.

16. How about outside on one knee and inside on the other?

17. I'd forget about strap-ons, they sound like a pain in the ass.

18. FWIW - my knee armour stayed on and in place while the denim knees of my draggins were torn right through.

I wear them under my jeans.

19. One other aspect to think about is the armour scratching your paintwork if you wear them outside, inside the pants is where this sort of thing belongs :p

20. I have Icon Field Armour knee guards that I wear under draggin cargos. They overlap with my boots too, so they go inside the top of the boots which is fine as the boots velcro close ok still.

My advice, however you want to wear them (inside looks better and would be safer imho) is that you try em on with both your pants and jeans before buying. I doubt mine would fit over my jeans, in fact the velcro tabs are pulled tight as it is and anyone with thicker legs than mine might find them too tight anyway.