Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strange Messenger behaviour

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Nov 5, 2008.

1. I have a small circle of people with whom I communicate on Messenger Live.

I have two computers plus a laptop in the house; I set all three of them up and they are all at roughly the same standard as far as the OS, versions, etc.

My son (who doesn't live at home) can communicate with my wife on her computer in the next room, but not with me. She can see him on-line, and vice versa, but I can do neither.

Help on the 'Net is contradictory at best and useless at worst, especially from Microsoft's own tech support site.

Does anyone have a clue? Please don't, incidentally, tell me to;

1. use another programme, see above, I asked for help with the programme I have, not advice about an alternative...

2. tell me to uninstall and re-install; I am presently on a brand new computer with a brand-new install of everything....

2. your blocked and deleted because he doesn't like you!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

seriously, nfi...

Edit: its microsoft... don't expect too much to work or there will be a black hole or something form...

3. :LOL: Well I had lunch with he and his wife last Friday and he didn't say anything like that :LOL:.

Seriously, it's really infuriating, because everyone else's account works OK, but I can't communicate with him.

4. Sounds like Windows firewall Paul. What happens if you switch off the firewall for testing purposes? I have seen situations where the firewall can block apps even when it says it isn't. Good luck.

Edit: Ahh Ok I hadn't got that you could communicate with everyone else. Corrupted profile perhaps for his entry?

5. What are the exact versions of Messanger installed on the home computers?

When you login to Messanger on your wife's computer can you communicate with your son?

6. I've had this before. Get him to delete you from his account, then you delete him. Then re-add him and see if he gets a pop up. He should. Then it should work

7. A serious cigar to James. How I've managed to install a 2006 version of Messenger on a computer I've only had for two days baffles me completely.

Currently downloading the 2008 version :roll:.

8. Glad to hear I could help. I can easily understand how an old version got installed - particularly if you took it directly from the MS website. Their website has to be one of the work places to navigate.