Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

strange choppy mechanical sound when upshifting/downshifting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by cleanhands, Aug 24, 2009.

1. riding back home last night a few times I had the bike make this really weird choppy noise. sort of like a krrrrrrrr metallic noise of something being unwound or ground down.

Once on up-shifting it happened and my revs shot up a little and I think it got stuck. Upshifted a few moments after this no problem.

Later when downshifting same thing happened. Could it be me downshifting too quickly in this case? is this a compression lockup?

I possibly did something wrong when upshifting as I've put myself in neutral before (while riding) by mistake.

Any ideas?

2. A beer says you're not shifting hard enough. Put a good firm boot into it. If the gears don't engage, the tips of the little tabs that are trying to find slots bang against the edges of the slots as the motor spins them around.

That's every bit as bad for them as it sounds, you can round them off and stuff your gearbox. So yes. Shift firmly, both upshifts and downshifts, and you shouldn't hear this sound again.

3. +1, also, don't get lazy with the clutch, make sure you pull it all the way 'til the motor disengages. (Good practice is pull until it hits the handlebars)
    Otherwise, it's like Loz said, only the little tips are travelling much faster then they should be!

That state that you get in is called a "false neutral", a half shift. If you don't panic and whack it in, you could rev as much as you like, as there's no drive, just like you're in neutral.

4. 1 beer.
    that makes sense to me. I'll try playing around with it some more next ride.

Hope I didn't do too much damage...