Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strange burbling noise when taking off from lights..?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Pommie, Apr 17, 2007.

1. G'day guys,

Had a look through the previous topics and couldn't find anything on this...

Tonight when I started my bike and started moving I got a strange burbling noise from the engine and it didn't seem to be developing much power. As soon as I got it going it would then sound normal... Seemed to be only in like from 0 to 5 km/h it happened...

I have a 1987 CBR250R with 30000k's on the clock. Mechanically up until now its been perfect. Anyone know what might be happening?

Hope its nothing major...

2. What revs are we looking at? Is throttle response normal?
    Could be the throttle cable is out of adjustment, amoungst many other things.
  3. feel ur headers, is one of em colder than the others.
    I would be thinking one of ur cylinders isnt firing. Post back if that is the case
  4. Yeah I was thinking what Zbike was thinking.

When I ride tonight I'll have a check, how do you fix that if it is the problem?
  5. Loss of a cylinder would exlpain power loss but woudnt empeed top speed much. And a dull noise as there is no combustion.

If a header is cold

-I would follow the fuel undo the float drain bolt on the suspect cylinder it should leak out fuel if it doesnt. time to take the carbs out.

-Take out the spark plug reattach the lead and try to start it while holdin the plug against some bare metal on the bike. U should see spark.

I listed these two as they are the easiest and quickest to check. after that i would take a compression gauge to the cylinder.

Post back what ya find as its pointless listing all posiblilities.
    Im not a mechanic so dont take this as law

holla if ya need tools/gauges and ur in sydney, i work for beer
  6. Fuel

Make sure you check your fuel lines and your air/fuel/idle mixture.

I get that sometimes with my pipe with is pretty much a free-flow...

Mine sounds like a bRRRRRInnnnGGGGG. I fixed it by richening the mixture and cleaning my carbs.