Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Strange blind spot

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by modern_ninja, May 9, 2011.

1. So, for a while now i've been working on avoiding a particularly strange blind spot created by other vehicles.

The situation is almost identical to the one described in this thread here. Traffic is stopped and waiting to turn across your path of travel.

I've found that if you are behind a car, the vehicle waiting to turn across your path of travel occasionally can't see you.

I reckon I almost had a big smash this morning because of this one. I was left of centre behind a mutant 4wd thing (one of those cars thats a 4wd that really isn't) and I get to this intersection that always has cars queuing waiting to turn right from "south rd" onto "adam st" (refer the link :D )

Anyway, I notice this bomby corolla with its wheel turned creeping a bit. I swerve to the right hand wheel track (this is still a bit away from the intersection) so the car can see me. The car slams the brakes on (whilst not moving very much it does that big lurch thing). I reckon, he was going to go and smidsy me a good-un... But not in the conventional sense of a smidsy.

Crash averted. Just annoys me how deepy engrained habits can become for cagers and how little they think. They just go about driving without actually putting their brains in gear. I think, whilst this seemed very, very inane and not actually that bad, It could have ended really horribly. Had they turned in front of me without me taking any action, I hate to imagine how I would have ended up. As it was, I took action and he saw me... Had he not seen me, I was preparing to get on the brakes hard. I reckon I still would avoided it. But i'm worried about what would have happened had it been another rider that hasn't been focusing a bit on this exact situation.

Stay upright all...
  2. *nodnods* Yeah, being mistaken for a "gap" in a wall of cars is an easy thing for a bike. (Or a car tailgating a heavy vehicle)

Good job on averting it by moving over to the right hand side to visually fill the gap in. :)

When approaching intersections I'll often change to the left or right wheeltrack pre-emptively to make myself more obvious to traffic trying to turn in from side-roads or turn across my path. Or, if there's traffic on both sides, increase the distance between myself and the vehicle I'm following to create line of sight that way.
  3. yup you were right thats pretty dam close to what happened to me (was in the right hand lane and the right wheel rut too). Glad to hear that you were able to avoid an accident on that one.

as for the brain not in gear i've driven for maybe 80kms today doing the usual run around to get quotes and stuff in my car and so far have been cut off twice with cars merging into my lane which was going faster than theirs and not using indictors or doing head checks.

either way well done on staying upright mate :) the cagers are out in force today
  4. wrong thread - mods please delete this post
  5. I always freak out (kinda) when i feel this happening to me and move way back from the car in front and hard into the right part of the lane. I sometimes do a little side to side thingomabobby or whatever you call it. haven't been killed yet so i guess it's working!

I hate the blind spot that us motorcyclists have directly behind us; i always get riders who sit right there and then overtake out of no where and i'm all like "omgwtfpotatoe!"
  6. sweet, i was worried that it was just me...

Oh, bit of clarification, when I jumped to the other wheel track, I was still quite a way from the intersection and far enough to take further action, had the cager still not seen me...

Stay upright everyone!
  7. Yeah I've noticed this too, my method is:
    a) if two lane road, change in to left lane.
    b) otherwise, ride in right wheel track as I approach the intersection then as I get to it move over to the left to buffer.

edit: oh, and as always: wipe off five and have brakes set up.
  8. other than what's allready mentioned, theres nothing more you can do. just take a deep breath and hope today is not your day to take a hit.
    ideally you'd be in the left lane with a that nice big ****ing truck between you and the car about to cross the road, but then yeah, theres another retard about to pull out into you from the left too.
    you can get pretty good at the above mentioned though. start setting up for it as early as you see it up ahead. get your headlight moving from side to side, however you do it, and make sure it hits him in the eyes and you show yourself well in his line of site on your approach. but yeah, get a bit eratic and start doing it early, because you want the car behind you to back off too, incase you do go for the anchors. just set it up as best you can, make sure your weave is away from him as you pass. wipe of as much speed as you can get away with, without allowing him enough of a gap to be tempted shoot through. if he does collect you, the slower you hit the better. and ATGATT, have the best you can afford and wear it.

it's a tough call, because that scenario can take out anyone, dose'nt matter how good they are, how experienced, how many advanced rider courses up their sleeve. those retards can just bang out in front of you at the last millisecond. sometimes i'd even dive behind the truck, right up it's arse at the crucial moment, so as to become an extension of it as it passes. and then back off just as quick once passed.
    sometimes it's better to be placed within a tight group passing the car, and be part of the gapless wall of traffic passing it.
  9. Definitely a scenario to be mindful of. I heard about this happening to a postie, she was riding behind a van and a vehicle waiting to turn only saw the van. Turned and killed her unfortunately.