Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Straight up or lean forward.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thestig, Jun 23, 2009.

1. So I was in a dealership today and the bloke said that if I got a vtr250 and then went to an R6/1 after I got fulls, I wouldn't be prepared enough for the sport orientation of leaning forward like I would be if I got a GT250 or GT650.

Is this true? Its just that I've never read anything bad about VTRs and it was so comfortable when I got on it.

I don't find it that hard to ride my downhill bike then get off and ride my road bike pushie but maybe thats just for pushies.

2. It shouldn't make to much difference really and a vtr250 is better then a whoflung

It will just be a matter of getting used to a new riding posistion
  3. the vtr250 has more of a tourier position where as a R6 as a more aggresive sporty lean foward.

I wouldnt say it would be comfy at the start but you'll get used to it. i suggest short rides at the start.

i dont think it has stop everyone else whose done the same jump up in CCs as you have. ( what does he expect you to do, buy a sport 250 and ride that for a month??)

+ stig drives cars...he doesnt ride :LOL:
  4. Your salesman is full of BS like most. They riding position will be very different, true, but adaption is a great trait us humans have :wink:

(assuming you're human!) :LOL:
  5. Some say that he can actually also ride motorbikes....

and that deep down, he's actually Michael Schumacher..
  6. haha yea the 1st sig wore black, the 2nd wore white, now that they've both revealed themselves...what colour is the new stig???

I vote pink

put it this way, us guys learners on 250s sports have to endure that first lean foward, takes about a 2-3 days of riding to get used to. you might get a sore back for a week, wow big deal. tell that dealer where to go and how to get there. then buy the bike :LOL: you prolly wont even notice as you be out there enjoying every single hour with your new baby :biker:
  7. Mmm, I don't know if I buy that from the dealer;

VTR250's riding position is semi-sporty; You can sit up on the freeway a bit, but it's still necessary to hunker down a bit to get the right posture for twisty-road riding. Elbows bent!

I don't know that I'd buy that the GT250 or GT650 have a more aggressive riding position. They seem pretty similar to the VTR250; standard sporty naked bike. :?

I agree with Willzah though; You'll adapt!
  8. You listened to the sales rep?
    Buy whatever bike suits you then when you are ready to move up buy whatever bike suits you then.
    Never be pressured by a salesman's bullshit.
  9. Yeah this is just as I suspected but I thought I'd confirm it.

Off to get a VTR I go then.
  10. thata boy :beer: another problem solved. hes prolly trying to sell the hyocraps because he gets better commission than the vtr
  11. What a crock of shite. The salesman is just trying to flog a POS hyo on you.

What ever bike you upgrade to will most likely have a different feel from your LAMS bike in terms of seating position. But give it a couple of weeks to adjust and you will be fine.
  12. If he did then he wouldn't ask the question and he'd be on the side of the road pushing his hyosung wondering how this position will prepare him for the yami :D

As said positioning is fairly easy to adapt too. If you want to speed things up then go to the gym.
  13. *ahem*

I'll have you know I own a Hyosung and its an awesome bike! Not to mention very sexy!

Mind your manners! :wink:

*goes back to pat her Hyosung* Shhhh it's okay baby..
  14. did you guys hear that??? did someone say something
  15. It would be stupid and naive not to listen to someone giving you advice.

Take the advice on board and make your own mind up as to whether you agree or disagree with it.
  16. and we're giving our advice here, so i hope he takes us in consideration too

and you shoudl know very well how bias sales people can be for commission
  17. The Dealer has a point...but it's a small one, and easily overcome. You'd just need a little bit longer in the saddle, and be prepared to be less comfortable until you got used to the new riding position on the sportsbike, and have the will to want to get used to it in the first place..

Some riders who buy cruiser style bikes first up (because they are further away from the sportsbikes than the vtr), have a more difficult time adjusting to the forward control position as it is completely foreign to them...

It IS and adjustment.

18. The matter of riding position is a curly one. A "straight up" riding position may, at first, seem to be more comfortable and also safer, affording, as it does, a more commanding view of the road ahead.

However, it has two very distinct disadvantages. Firstly, it presents your chest directly to the oncoming blast of wind and can become very tiring (and quite painful) after some distance.

Secondly, and more importantly, it actually locates you on the seat with the base of your spine bearing all of your weight. This is not only tiring and uncomfortable, but also dangerous as it can become a distraction after riding for some distance and lead to inattention and possible errors in riding.

A slightly "leant-forward" riding position is preferable because it solves both the critical issues and shortcomings of the "straight up" position.

Firstly, it actually means that your head (the top of your helmet) is breaking the oncoming wind rather than it hitting you full in the chest.

Secondly, it means that your body weight is being supported, not by a very small area at the base of your spine, but by the full length of your inner thighs instead. Patently, the more area over which your body weight is distributed, the easier it will be for you.

Now modern sports bikes (like the R6) take this to extremes and the fully "leant-forward" position of the sportsbike meets criteria #1, but adds the problem of neck pain as you bend your neck back so that you can continue to look straight ahead.

And this position also means that a huge amount of your body weight is pushed forwards and is now resting on your wrists instead. Seeing that you should ideally have your wrists and hands flexible and as free to move as possible, any riding position that "imprisons" them is going to be detrimental to your comfort and to your ability to control your bike with ease.

Finally, as previous posters have noted, you CAN adapt yourself to ANY riding position, but you should try, if possible, to buy a bike that meets the above criteria if you want to enjoy your riding over the long term.

Hope this helps.
  19. I love fanging the bikes that my mates have/had. Eg: Kr1S, gsxr750, zx6,zx9, Trumpie tt600, gsxr1000, zzr600, cbr600 etc., but for me I prefer the partially upright position of my cbr1000f. Most of the sports bikes are great fun for a while, then I start to feel uncomfortable due to the the cramped position.
    Work out for yourself what style of bike suits you and your use best. Don't try to buy the latest and greatest, fastest, trendiest etc unless you are actually going to utilise it's capabilities, you will only be wasting money on purchase, insurance and maintenance.
    If track days are your thing, then go for it, but if longer distance runs are on the agenda then think hard about your choice.
  20. go the lean forward.

love the feel of it :D