Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

straight 7/8 bar

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Devery, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Where can I buy some 7/8 steel bar suitable for motorcycle handlebars? I just need it to be straight and I'm not bending it. What do I need to look for? A certain grade of steel?

I'm in Melbourne, Essendon.

2. Plain old mild steel tube will do the needful. I wouldn't go less than 1.2 mm wall thickness, and the metric equivalent will be 21mm, which might need a coke can shim to grip in the handlebar clamps.

Not sure about Melbourne, but these folk seem to have a good range. You could also go to Onesteel or similar but they will probably want to sell you a 6m length unless they have some offcuts lying around.

BTW, it's up to you, of course, and everybody's a different shape, but truly straight bars are generally horribly uncomfortable after a very short time. They tend to put your wrists at the wrong angle.
  3. with the title of this thread, thought it was about music....:-({|=
  4. Thanks Patb. I found a place which had 21mm tube but I wasn't sure if I could get away with that. I'll call them tomorrow and see how thick it is. I'll try the straight bars for a bit and if its too uncomfortable I'll get some that bend back a bit.

5. A very quick lesson in Tube/pipe dimensioning. Tube is measured by outside diameter and wall thickness. Pipe is measured by internal diameter (roughly) and wall thickness. Which to add to the confusion can also be named as light, medium, heavy, extra heavy etc etc.
    Bar is solid. Can be square, round, hex etc.
    Might make things a little easier when trying to explain to the steel supplier exactly what it is that you require.
  6. Why not buy a set of bars that suit you, They come in a myriad of sizes and shapes,
    and they are high tensile steel,
    Mild steel as it is known, will kill you,
    .26 chrome is mild steel, also called Boiler plate, Its guaranteed to be .26 chrome.
    Any thing else can have any thing in it, you can bend it in your hands,
    Welded seamless pipe is the minimum, Your local steel supplier wont have any.
  7. Can be hard to find a dead straight bar though Deadman.
  8. I'm yet to find a set of Jap handlebars that show any sign of being anything other than MS tube. Many that I have seen have appeared to be ERW rather than solid drawn too.

I wouldn't use the sort of toffee that cheapo furniture is made of, but I'd be entirely confident in 1.2 or 1.6mm wall thickness tube bought from a proper steel stockholder. Or, if I wasn't worried about weight, DN15 pipe has about a 3mm wall thickness and, IIRC, is about the right OD. If you can bend or snap that in the form of a handlebar, Cirque du Soleil would like to hear from you :D.