Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Storing a Bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by banjodog, Apr 8, 2007.

1. hey guys, i'll be going away for 10 weeks and i will be leaving a bike at home for that long. What should i do to keep it all gud (e.g. drain oil, bike cover etc)???

2. 10 weeks is fine.
    Fill fuel tank

when you return drain the fuel as it will be stale and expect a half flat battery and do normal pre ride checks.

EDIT: Maybe maint is the right forum for this :)
  3. Fill it with fuel and jump start it if it needs it when you get back, no need to worry about it for that length of time
  4. Fill the fuel tank to the brim. Disconnect the battery. 10 weeks is not much

5. +1
  6. sweet guys, thanks. so leave oil in it or drain it?
  7. Do as I said. Dont drain oil. 10 weeks will not hurt anything, unless it is hurt already. Best you park undercover too.
  8. From what i have seen most bikes should have no problem at all starting after only 10 weeks. Although i have had freinds who had 2 Ducati monsters that they couldnt leave for a month without having to Jump start.
    Have a great trip. :)
  9. Yeah, the bloddy MV is like that. The 2007 models have a wired in charger. What does that tell you? You only have to unscrew one terminal to keep a battery in better shape for longer.
  10. Buy a battery tender - $50 at Super Cheap
  11. Why a full tank? How does that help?
  12. Stops the tank from rusting.

Also lock the bike up, chain it or whatever. So its still there when u get back
  13. Another way to store a fuel tank is dead empty, with a satchel of dessicant in it and the lid just cracked open.
    However, a full tank is less likely to collapse if a vent becomes blocked, and you have large temperature variations. I've seen car tanks completely collapse because of this.
    10 weeks, I'd maybe fog some oil into the bores, but I am a bit pedantic.

Regards, Andrew.
  14. a smart battery charger can be handy.
    I get my son to start it up once a week when I'm away
  15. Newbie question here.. you guys talk about jump starting the bike - how?
  16. Run it nearly empty, then empty the tank before completely filling it up however, you might already have some water in there, which is a brilliant breeding ground for rust.
  17. Are you kidding :?:
  18. nope.. not kidding - a real question - I'm trying to understand what you do to jump start the motorbike with the flat battery. I'm a newbie - L rider and still learning the ropes.

Just asking what to do should I hit that situation in the future.

I am assuming that I'm not doing exactly the same thing that you do with cars therefore doublechecking. Last thing I want to do is stuff up my lovely bike!
  19. Just checking mate.
    The short answer is, do the same as you do for cars.

You will need jumper leads with smaller clips on each end but its the same process. Just dont leave the leads connected for any longer than you have to as a bike's charging system is not as "robust" as a car's and regulators etc can be fried. :grin:
  20. Also, re jumpstarting. Don't rev the car whilst connected, the bike won't like the much higher charging capability of the car's alternator. If the bike starts without even starting the car, all the better.