Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stoppping with Stand?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by johnmoz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. When I did my L's we were taught to come to a stop, kick into neutral, turn the engine off, drop the stand then go back to first. It seems more logical to me to leave the bike in first and drop the stand to kill the engine without going through the neutral step.

Am I missing something?

On a slightly related topic, what mneumonics does everyone use, we were taught:

For startup

E-ngine start

and shutdown

2. We were told (and it makes sense to me) that on a bike with EFI and computer that using the kill switch and or safety cutouts (like stand) doesn't allow the computer to shut down properly.. it shuts down with an error code abruptly rather than the command to stop.

Kinda like turning your home computer off by holding the power button.. might not hurt the computer but one day you might turn it on and have issues.. windows doesnt get to line up all its ducks before it shuts down.

ALSO .. using ignition to shut down a bike saves batteries.. its too easy to start chatting etc and before long your headlight has sucked a lot of juice from the very little bike battery :(
  3. Not all bikes have sidestand cut-out switches so it makes sense to teach a procedure that doesn't require it.

Personally, I always switch off with the key. I don't even use the killswitch apart from to create entertaining backfires. It's a legacy of learning on bikes that not only had no sidestand switch but no kill switch either. These days I find myself more irritated than protected by the array of idiot systems which prevent me from starting my bike in any manner that the powers that be consider unsafe but which can be hugely useful in the event of eg a broken clutch cable.
  4. Does your bike have a kill switch on the stand? I thought that was only on newer bikes.
    Mine doesn't so I usually just stop where I want, stand down, kill engine (key) and then get off the bike.
    And getting on the bike if it's in neutral, key in, start it up. In gear, hop on bike, key in, clutch in, start then stand (those last 2 could be in either order).
  5. Agreed, but I wouldn't use the stand safety switch to kill the engine. You might forget to turn off the ignition or damage the switch over time. Just leave it in first and use your key.
  6. The Stand switch is being used the same amount whether the bike is running or not, its not being used extra.

Use the kill because then you have both hands on the bars while the engine is running and both feet on the ground, you cant do this with either the key or the stand.

Using the kill will throw up errors is ridiculous because the bike is still on so the ecu has power to deal with the stop, it would make more sense that it would throw up errors using the key so that it loses all power while running.
  7. Good point VC, both hands & both feet in control sounds logical, I still can't see the point on going into neutral first, though..

8. TBH I pull up in first and hit the kill switch...it's there right next to my right thumb?
    I Kick the stand down and get off the thing. Hopefully remembering my keys.
    The stand is down and the bike is on it. The steering lock is on cause I remembered my key and it's still in first...it ain't going no where..

I would be more worried about if I had parked it in a safe spot
  9. Again
    Seriously u have been worrying about unimportant stuff
  10. All you need to do is just not bother using the clutch when you come to a stop.
    The engine will switch itself off..... ;)
  11. Might prove entertaining if don't get stand down on first attempt (it happens) and accidentally give throttle a nudge while still in 1st.

Same. I don't/won't touch kill switch unless necessary, eg. a bike's down, still in gear with engine running. Not all ignitions are in same place. To me its purpose is for emergencies.
  12. My bike doesn't have a side stand switch (or rather one doesn't) so i always switch off at ignition after selecting neutral.

If you kill in gear you may find you have trouble selecting neutral. Can be hard on some bikes. Then if you need to move the bike it makes it harder. You can still use the clutch but I find selecting neutral before doing anything else helps.
  13. Probably because they expect you to use the key to turn the bike off, and that you should use your left hand, so that you can have your right hand on the front brake (or because they have to teach everyone and some people have keys on the left behind their knee). If you dont have it in neutral then you cant use your left hand because you need the clutch.

I nearly always use the kill, because over the years it is the only thing that is consistent on my bikes, keys are all over the place and some sidestands have cut outs and some don't. As the kill is always off when I go to restart I also never have that 5 minutes of wondering why my bike wont start which I have seen others do.
  14. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, good Sir :p
  15. ... and brings with it potential for learner to accidentally let clutch slip while fiddling with stand (some can be harder than others till find the knack).
    Some have ignition down on the right (V-Star comes to mind)
  16. I was taught to turn off by kill switch because that way your hands are not moving from the controls until it is off.

On the topic of neutral as someone said above it can sometimes be difficult selecting neutral when the bike is off and can take a roll.
  17. Thanks for the input everyone, food for thought...

Kill switch before any other actions now seems the safest to me in light of all the comments

18. The first practice session I went to, it was either Grey or Doug that suggested to me and a few others to always use key to turn bike off

It was a brilliant reason why but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was

Also if your into the habit of using the killl switch there is the possibility you might forget your key if your in a rush....maybe...
  19. In our Qride course, atleast two people per day ran their batteries flat by using the kill switch or kick stand to shut down the engine. They then left the key as "ON". 20 mins later go to start, and nothing.

So for me, it was an education to use the key every time.
  20. Cheeky comment, but true.

You were given a simple to remember "system" because you're a learner that's potentially being overwhelmed by this new experience called motorcycling. So it will serve you well... in time though, you'll make your own choices.

The EFI thing is a furphy by the way.

There are good reasons to stop your bike using the stand or kill switch - they are safety features that you should test from time to time. Just don't forget to turn the key to the off position or you'll flatten your battery (well you will on my bike).

Personally, it makes more sense to me to turn off the bike while it's in gear, clutch in, front brake on, by putting the sidestand down. Then you release the clutch and brake and the bike remains where you stopped it, no extra fiddling around.