Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stopping whilst in gear

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by alleyway, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I had to stop quite quickly while riding yesterday and didn't have time to change down gears. I tried to click down once I'd stopped and was surprised that it didn't click down more than once when I had stopped as I was sure I was in 3rd or 4th gear. Needless to say, when I went to take off I stalled as I was still in gear other than first. :oops:

This has happened a couple of times and so when I stopped yesterday I tried to stomp down gears with a bit more force to no avail...anyone know what causes this - would it be a dirty oil issue or something for the mechanic to look at during the next service?

I've read that it's always best to use a combo of brakes and engine braking to slow down. If you don't have a huge distance within which to brake, is it preferable to use your brakes or your engine braking as your main option?

Thanks again as always!

edit: various typos!
  2. Good question, I've had similar.
    When I do, I've fixed it by letting the clutch out a tiny bit (only giving the smallest amount of drive), then back in, after can change down ok - give that a shot?
    As for the cause not sure...
  3. +1 as above, let the clutch out a little and then shift down. - Edit - But I keep the clutch a little out until back down in 1st
  4. rock it back and forward at the lights , if that dosent work then turn it off and rock it back and forward with the clutch out.
  5. As rdkls said, just bring the clutch out to the friction point, and then back in for each gear. This is a pretty normal scenario.
    Even with a car gearbox you can sometimes find when stationary it is hard to put the car into reverseā€¦ drop it into first, find the friction point then pop the clutch back in and reverse will be easy to find.
  6. ALWAYS use your brakes as the main option for stopping, especially in an emergency situation. There's no real harm in using a little bit of engine braking, but use too much and you will lock up the rear wheel.
    As everyone else has said, when you find you can't kick down any gears at standstill, you just need to feed a tiny bit of drive through the clutch, enough to get the cogs to move a bit, and you should be able to catch the next gear down.
  7. Totally agreement with Nick (rdkls) and 265chemic.
  8. No need to turn off the bike and it's quite dangerous actually, do as rdkls says it's the best advice and we all do it that way
  9. As a side note, from what I was told when getting my licence on Sunday, its not good for the gear selectors if you are stomping to change gears.
    If its not changing and you are trying to force it by stomping you can bend the gear select levers inside the gearbox.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong 8-[

nb: excuse my lack of correct terminology :p
  10. Gearbox needs to be rotating for the selectors, forks and dogs to do their thing. Even the rocking forward and back while stationary will do it.

Don't force it. As you slow, change down to the gear you need to take off with. That's not a hard ask.

If you stop in a hurry and you haven't clicked down, how do you get moving again to avoid the truck barrelling down on you??
  11. By the time you've slowed to a stop, the bike SHOULD be in 2nd gear. Then, just as you roll to the stop, a quick downward dab on the lever should pop it into neutral. Takes a bit of practice, but it works.

If you're old school, like me, and like to leave the bike in neutral while you're stopped (and, please, don't derail this thread by telling me what instructors say you SHOULD do, I don't care) you are then ready to click down one more to 1st as the opposing lights go yellow and you're ready to go.

If you like to leave it in first for that "extra fast start", then click down to 1st straight away and you're ready to go.

Like everything about riding, it's all in the technique and the technique improves with practice.

And don't be afraid to ask what you reckon are dumb questions. There are no dumb questions, only people who are too dumb to ask them, and they're the ones that usually get into trouble.
  12. There's a special place in hell for the likes of you!

But yeh +1 to the back and forth advice and rc is correct with the half a kick down however some bikes don't like the half a kick down for neutral and may prove a bit more difficult to knock into neutral on the roll.
  13. Thanks for the vote!!! =D>
  14. Kwaka's have a positive neutral finder. You kick down to first as you slow to a crawl. (clutchless or clutched, up to you). Then when you come to a stop, pull in the clutch and a half snick up will positively get you to neutral as opposed to 2nd. Having a kwaka, I never bother with the "down to 2nd gear" thing.

But RC raises a good point about being in or out of gear while stationary.

Being in gear and pulling the clutch in while stationary means that you're ready for the quick take off, but the clutch plates are sliding over each other and causing a tiniest bit of wear. It also means you'll be susceptible to a possible stall or lurch if the clutch cable breaks. Some also reckon that holding the clutch in weakens the clutch spring force.

Being in neutral OTOH causes no wear, but means you need better vigilance to get yourself in the ready position for take off.

The choice is up to you.
  15. Once you have a car or two pulled up behind you, sitting in neutral isn't much of a drama due to the increased buffer zone of the cars.

If it's late at night or raining and few cars on the road, I'm almost always sitting at the lights in 1st ready to go but other times I'm in neutral, sitting up and having a good look around at the traffic coming and going in all directions.

As said above, I also roll to a stop in first and then flick it into neutral just before I stop. However, I'm also always looking at the traffic light phasing as I might just stay in 1st if the traffic is about to move off.
  16. It's called a clutch. Use it.