Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stopping at lights

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 3jaz, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Coming to a stop at a set of traffic lights/Stop sign/Give Way ive noticed there is quite a lot of oil right in the center of the lane and some 50 metres ahead.

Where should you come to a stop? in the middle?... on eaiter side close to traffic?

And any advice on what or how to handle the acceleration process?.. and/or up coming corners?
  2. I stick to the left wheel track when coming up to lights etc due to the oil (and other fluids).
  3. wot he said, doubly so early on winter mornings and evenings, when the roads may not appear to be moist but almost always are, with dew.....

(and, of course, when it's raining)

Luckily, living as you do in Sydney, you do not have to contend with the steel horrors, tram lines.....
  4. True, but the roads here do have a certain patchwork-quilt makeup. Not too bad when you're heading in a straight line but always something to keep an eye out for when heading round corners, it is particularly bad at most intersections.
  5. Does that mean.. emergency braking close to a set of traffic lights is a no, no?.... or exercise extra extra caution?
  6. If you have to do it, you have to do it no matter where you are. But it is a much safer option to approach traffic lights (when they're red, yellow or you don't know how much green is left) carefully and not at the full posted speed limit.
  7. oh!.. got it :)

One thing ive noticed is when the lights go from green to amber .... a bike can make a stop ... but a car will always chance it.....

what does one do if a car is behind you and wants to chance it?
  8. Depends on how far away from the lights I am. If the lights go yellow, I'm close to them and I a quick check of my mirrors reveals that there is a car a little too close for comfort then generally I give a quick twist of the throttle and go through them.

Of course this is all dependent on the speed you are travelling as well.

Don't know what you mean about the bike making the stop though.
  9. Most people will also stop when they see your brake lights - or some idiots will go around you. If they're too close you might just want to go through, if you don't think they can stop. Best bet is to make sure they're not too close to begin with - if they are, change lanes or slow down, to minimise risk.

And yes, always try to sit in the left or right wheel track at the lights, and avoid stopping on painted lines, if you can help it. They're all bad news for grip. In fact when you're riding normally you should probably be sitting in either the left or right wheel track, whichever is the closest to the centre of the road and/or the furthest from other vehicles. Try to maintain as much room as possible between you and other vehicles. Again, gives you more time to react, minimises risk and increases your visibility.
  10. As above, but what I'm more worried about is that they didn't teach you in the course? They drilled the oil thing into us at HART. :?
  11. Yep, stick to the left or right ALL the time (unless theres somethign on the road, painted surface, dirt, oil, grates etc). But if your in the right hand tire track and you are going over a crest, you will want to move over to the left hand wheel track. You never know what idiot is driving toward you on the otherside of the crest. If your just riding around on main roads, either the right or left is fine, but if you've got a truck or bus coming towards you then you might want to move from the right to the left, same if you see someone starting to get out of a parked car on the left you might want to swich to the right, etc. T intersections, if you arn't sure whats coming the other way, move over to the right if your in the left. If theres a stop sign and a cars approching it then move from the left to right incase it runs the sign! I did a little test the other day, waited behind a bush in a backstreet intersection with a stop sign. No joke, only 3 cars out of 15 stopped. Some hesitated, but most slowed a little then went through. Scary when you think that the little framing peice between the side of the windscreen and the side door is about as wide a 4 fingers. Hold 4 fingers up and look at something 60 meters away on the road. It will cover the WHOLE road, so if that little peice of framing blocks their view of a section of road you happen to be on and they pull out from a stop sign, you wanna hope you can countersteer onto the otherside of the road withouth hitting on-coming traffic or that cage is gonna hurt :p But yea, at stop lights, signs etc. If your turning left general rule is be in the left wheel track, if your turning right, be in the right one. If your turing left from the right track some dumb cage is sure to think your goign straight ahead and try to sneak inside you on the corner. Also you've gotta watch that if your in the left turing left, or the right turning right some cage doesent try to sneak up on the other side of the lane! Hope that helps!
  12. you should be following the lines of what cars use... since they clear/clean up most of the debris before you...
  13. ahh yes.... very useful tips indeed

much appreciated :)
  14. Exactly. :dance: I know sometimes things take us by surprise, but it's up to us to know what's behind and how close. If they're so close that they couldn't change their mind and stop if they see your brake light at the next intersection rather than chance it (reads tailgating), then you should be slowing down well before you get there and continue to slow down until they back off or go around (assuming you can't immediately get out of their way). :)
  15. I always move into a wheel track and choose a side that will let a splitting bike move into the other wheel track.

As for deciding on amber lights, I have got into the habit of checking my mirrors 100m before every set of lights regardless of red/amber/green. That way I know what my options are. If someone is close, I will go through the amber more often. If there is heaps of room, I will stop for the amber more often. I learnt this when learning to ride in Adelaide where amber means go and red means go faster! It was deadly if you always stopped for ambers.
  16. Die?

Fines are something hoons and car drivers get. The rest of us get penalties for being on a motorbike. When I see a light go amber, the thought process isn't "shit, I may get a fine if I run this light" it's "the d!ckhead up my arse might rear-end me if I don't". If I get caught potentially saving my life in an illegal manner, so be it, my health is more important than my wallet.

Be aware of what's around you, and realise that you're just as responsible for being rear ended as you are for rear ending someone, regardless of what the law says it's your neck on the line. Don't stop for iffy ambers unless you have to (ie, a car waiting to turn at the intersection has started to turn in front of you) and if someone is tailgating you, either let them through or speed away from them.

17. All good advice :applause:
  18. I'm sure you don't mean that the way it sounds, Justin. You're not responsible for being hit from behind; how can you be? You ARE going to have similar CONSEQUENCES as if you hit someone in front of you; motorcycling vulnerability takes care of that.....

I got rear-ended in February by a dozy guy in a Mazda Van; he hit me, I wasn't responsible.....
  19. Of course it's not your fault if somebody hits you from behind.
  20. I assume you dont mean bike can stops better than cars by, a bike CAN make a stop. Becuase bikes take ALOT longer than cars to stop, a common misconception is that because bikes are light and nimble they stop well. But when you only have two small rubber surfaces about the size of a knee cap connecting you to the road as opposed to four WIDE, flattish car rubbers you don't stop to well in comparison.